Garden 2014

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Garden 2014

Post by mattswabb »

2 years ago I made this garden

This winter the freeze caused the one corner to pop out. So it needed repair and also a better fence to keep out the critters. So we decided to enlarge it. It was 2 separate beds at 4' square. Now it's 4' x 12' and lift off fence panels. When I made the new perimeter out of 2x10's I laid the same fence screen in the bottom to keep the borrowing animals out.

There was still a little more work to be done in these pics

We're ready to plant the crops as soon as it warms up a little more.

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Re: Garden 2014

Post by matchbookhouse »

Wow, you've got some serious rocks going on surrounding your garden bed (which is really nice, btw). Are they naturally occurring on your property or did you have them brought in? I love them!

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

The sandstone is from the houses the city was demolishing. I talk with the demo contractor and he said I could take all I wanted from the site as well as his property. He was crushing it for fill. I picked up about 20 trailer loads at about a ton each.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Such a garden! I wish I had all that nice block around my place!

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

I just have to ask - how on earth do you have so much energy to get all of this done? You moved 20 tons of stone? At the same time as all the other work that you're doing (really beautiful work, I might add)? I suppose I might have been able to keep up that pace at 26. Are you 26? :P

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

45. I did the stone 2 years ago in the late winter. I'd come home from work and do a trip or 2 to pick up the stone. Then pile it in the back or cart it to the area it needed to go. Plus 8 ton of gravel and 2 yards of dirt I shoveled into the trailer then to a wheel barrow and then into the garden. I was able to burn off most of my winter weight that year.

Here's my helper:

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

Wow, that looks awesome! I was really proud of the beds that I made this year, and they are not even close to as nice.

Please share how you maneuvered those rocks please! I have a wall of rocks that are similar and its falling apart, so I need to figure out how I can rebuild it.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I just used a 2 wheel dolly. To get them up higher I just made levels out of the remaining rocks so I could just roll/flip them from one level to the next till they were where they needed to be. Some were very heavy so I tried my best to use them at the lower levels.