1850s Farmhouse

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
CrestwoodCottage
Knows the back streets

1850s Farmhouse

Post by CrestwoodCottage »

So now that I have posted my baby, my 1925 Bungalow, I'll now show you guys what my family has been up to for the past 2+ years. Our family moved to Knoxville, TN in 1881 to this 1850s farmhouse on a dairy farm a little over 100 acres. We aren't positive on the build date but do know it was between 1850-1860. My great-great grandparents and my great grandparents lived in this house and raised 17 kids total here. My grandfather and his brother inherited the property after their mother passed away in 1987. The house basically sat empty for 25 years before my grandfather decided to restore it. It had terrible termite damage that had caused the front addition(1890) to sink about 6". The settlement from the termites caused a ton of damage. The windows were busted, the front door was completely jammed, front porch was detached from the house, plaster was falling off the walls and ceiling, and termites ate right through the hardwood floors. The extent of the damage caused a lot of the house to be replaced but much of it still exist. The original intent was to save the shell of the house for my brother and I to restore at a later date. My grandfather got a little carried away and soon spent the next 2 years having his contractor completely restore the entire thing. The original part of the house is sitting on a log foundation that still has the bark on it! The termites didn't seem to like that part of the house, luckily. The first step in restoring the house was to remove the windows on the first floor and place a steel beam through the house and lift it up enough to rebuild a foundation. Once this was done the house was then basically redone from the floor up. I will attach a few photos but if you visit my blog I have many photos from the start to finish, although some things are still a work in progress.

http://petuniajunedesigns.wordpress.com ... nd-afters/
Attachments
img_0388.jpg
img_0388.jpg (87.54 KiB) Viewed 726 times
image-7.jpg
image-7.jpg (112.72 KiB) Viewed 726 times
img_0385.jpg
img_0385.jpg (150.45 KiB) Viewed 726 times
*Formerly known as CedarLaneBungalow*

Don M

Re: 1850s Farmhouse

Post by Don M »

That's a beautiful renovation/restoration--- interesting blog cogratulations.

ana_phylaxis (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by ana_phylaxis (WavyGlass) »

Glad you were able to save it. :)

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It's nice to have a family freehold!