Advice on replacing partial brick veneer on 1914 Craftsman?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
dromond (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Advice on replacing partial brick veneer on 1914 Craftsman?

Post by dromond (WavyGlass) »

About 7 months ago we purchased a nearly 100 year old craftsman house that was desperately in need of updating. We have made some major renovations from having the electrical and plumbing completely replaced to have the floors refinished, several closets added,and many walls re-drywalled and painted. We are need to finish two bathroom remodels and remodel the ancient kitchen.

Unfortunately sometime towards the middle of the century the owners of this house did some aesthetically undesirable things to it. From siding-over and replacing some of the original windows to putting ugly acoustic ceilings and knotty pine siding in the living room. The worst offender in my opinion was added a partial brick veneer to the front of the house. It might have been quite stylish at the time but I have to say that I just find it hideous!

The one thing that has always stumped me is this: how do I replace the brick veneer with something that either matches or complements the existing wide-plank cedar siding? The existing siding is in pretty good shape and will look decent with a new paint job. (We will likely go for darker blue paint with white trim.) However, I don't think we can replace the brick with cedar siding similar to what is there without having it be obviously newer than the old and weathered existing cedar. Replacing all the siding is just not financially viable or sensible since it is in good shape.

Many homes in our area having interesting combinations of siding and shingles, but like our house the shingles are generally on the top only. If they are on the bottom, they wrap all the way around the house. I've seen some homes with this kind of brick painted, but I think it often doesn't look very good, especially on a house with wide plank siding. I would also one day like to build a wooden column and railing to replace the spindly black iron ones on the porch to spruce it up a bit while keeping the low-maintenance concrete porch and steps.

I could really use some design/construction suggestions from the more experienced craftsman owners here!

Here is a photo of the house in its original (and much better looking) state. I love the contrasting siding sizes, original windows and wooden porch that they had :cry:

And here are the realtor photos from last summer. The exterior still looks pretty much the same. I do like that the second floor porch was turned into and interior space because while I bet the porch looked nice from the outside it makes the master bedroom a lot bigger.

Gothichome

Re: Advice on replacing partial brick veneer on 1914 Craftsm

Post by Gothichome »

Drop one, I would first check the local architectural salvage places. They may have barns of the stuff. Another option might be it some one was residing or tearing down, if the stuff is destined for the dumpster, you might even get for free, or at least cheap. Another option might be take from a not so visable side of the home and place on the front, then just find new stuff of close approximation for the downer side of the home.

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Actually that looks like the entire siding was replaced at some point - the stuff in the new picture is much wider than what the old picture shows on the upper section of the house (ground floor level).

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

And the original front window was sadly replaced.
Diane

CS in Low Hud

Post by CS in Low Hud »

It would not be that hard to match the existing cedar clapboards, and you don't need much. It looks like a nice looking Craftsman - and it's great your looking correct the non-craftsman touches. It should be great!

Chris

Don M

Post by Don M »

I really like your house & at least the POs retained some of the original details above the first floor. I would try to replace those that are lost when you can. It looks like all the siding & windows on the first floor have been replaced since the early picture was taken.

dromond (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hi all and thanks for the responses. Interestingly, some or all of the original siding was sided over with the wider siding and if you drill through the new siding the old planks are still underneath! The two first floor windows to the right are original (including super wavy glass) but the casing were replaced to match the newer siding that juts out further than the original. You can see the small window on the first floor in the original which was sided right over and you can still see it on the inside in a closet. In total the POs covered up a total of 7 windows, many both inside and out. We have reinstated several of these.

The suggestions to get salvage siding to match the existing is great! I've already found a local salvage shop with just that. Thank you for the suggestion!

Does anyone have any ideas or examples for combining some sort of wood post and railing in the front porch area while keeping/rehabbing the existing concrete? I don't like the wrought iron very much - it looks too spindly for this house. Yet I also don't want to build a full new porch. This house lives in a very wet climate so concrete has some real benefits!

CS in Low Hud

Post by CS in Low Hud »

dromond wrote:Does anyone have any ideas or examples for combining some sort of wood post and railing in the front porch area while keeping/rehabbing the existing concrete? I don't like the wrought iron very much - it looks too spindly for this house. Yet I also don't want to build a full new porch.

While we did not keep our non-original concrete steps, but we did replace the 1980's wrought iron rails with wood (cedar) ones to match the existing porch railing. The posts on the stairs are a 4X4 pressure treated post sheathed in a solid cellular product which looks and feels like wood when painted, and mills as easy as wood too. The post caps are stock cedar. The porch posts are original (wood-sheathed 4X4s) - simple and craftsman-appropriate. You certainly could attach this to your existing concrete, no problem.

here's what we replaced: Image

Hope that helps!

Chris

dromond (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

So this sheathed 4x4 stuff is something that comes pre-constructed? It might be a good choice to replace our wrought iron support since I don't know if there is room on the existing porch for a wider column. Thanks you for the suggestions!

CS in Low Hud

Post by CS in Low Hud »

No... it comes in plank form - just like conventional lumber. I ran it through a 45 degree miter on all sides to create a box to cover the posts. Unlike wood, it does not swell and shrink, so those 45 degree seams don't open back up. It lacks wood's rigidity, however, so while it makes for a good covering for, say, a pressure treated post, you would not want to build a post solely out of this. That said,Wallpole seems to using this product, and making posts out of it: http://www.walpolewoodworkers.com/produ ... zHXaPldV8E http://www.walpolewoodworkers.com/fence ... zHWo_ldV8G So maybe there is a work around.

Other options would be 6X6" cedar posts or use cedar planks to clad the pressure treated post.

Chris