New Member…still in the planning stages

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Rfarmdream (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Re: New Member…still in the planning stages

Post by Rfarmdream (WavyGlass) »

That's very true, Kansas.1911. At some point during my earlier years, I remember someone stopping at the house and asking my parents if they could photograph the barn. I can't remember who it was, I think someone from a barn preservation group maybe, but I remember them saying that the double cupola design was not very common. I'm not sure if we'll pursue the National Register or not…I don't really know what it all entails, but have heard it's a pretty involved process. But the idea has definitely been tucked away :)

Thanks for the reference, Don M. Very nice pictures and story on your barn…I love seeing people restore and use old barns! They just don't build them like that anymore. I'm really not sure what the barn all needs, but more than likely it will have to be a phased project to deal with any urgent issues right away and then the rest as finances allow. And of course I don't mind building a little sweat equity either…although my husband gave me a little bit of a side eye when I suggested painting part of the barn ourselves this summer. Poor guy, constantly getting sucked into projects and things that have "so much potential"! ;)

Locust Quarter
Knows the back streets

Post by Locust Quarter »

The house is quite nice, but that barn just really is AWESOME. Love that.

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

I love that barn! It is absolutely gorgeous! I have a barn circa 1860, but those cupolas really set yours off. We've talked of building a new pole barn someday (that looks old). I'll have to file yours away for reference!

My farmhouse originally had a slate roof (we think - based on old insurance records from the early 1900s), then it was replaced with cedar shingles in 1970. We had the cedar shake replaced with metal in 2007, thanks to wonderful advice from the old OHW forum. I'd read elsewhere that a metal roof was loud during rainstorms, but everyone on the old forum steered me right. That roof should last almost forever, is energy efficient, and reduces your homeowners insurance to boot!