Hello from the soggy state!

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Re: Hello from the soggy state!

Post by Kansas.1911 »

We started in 2006 and it is 2014 now. To the passers-by, we look to be at 100%. But ah, I have projects in mind. Perhaps it is safe to say that I want to be at 100%. For one thing, I want crestings, those cute decorative comb-like things on the ridge of the roof. They can be seen on our original photo.

It would be a pain and a trick to make that jump of 1'. What does the finished product look like--provided you have updates on that "older picture."
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by El Polacko (WavyGlass) »

I love roof crestings! What a shame the original ones on your house were removed. Do the neighbors have any idea what might have happened to them? It would have been great to have found them stacked neatly under the porch or in the garage somewhere :)

Yes, the nearly 1' difference in ceiling height created a bit of a challenge. I'm boxing the bottom edge and up the vertical side in white fir and staining it in red mahogany. I'm going with stained white fir for the trimwork throughout the whole house (windows, doors, crown, base, etc) with the exception of the oak used on the room divider unit shown previously and oak I 'will' be doing the staircase in once I get to that point.

I just noticed I don't really have a shot of that area now that everything is painted. Not finished with the wood work in that area, but I'll get a shot of that tonight and post it later.

That room where you see the lower ceiling was originally our bedroom (if you look closely through the plastic, you can see our bed leaning up against the wall :lol: ). Now it's our main entry and dining room (you can also see the doors through the plastic we had just put in)

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Kansas.1911 wrote:It would be a pain and a trick to make that jump of 1'. What does the finished product look like--provided you have updates on that "older picture."

Here is a newer shot I just took tonight of the ceiling transition where the addition connects.
Like I said... lots more wood work to do.

CeilingTransition.jpg
CeilingTransition.jpg (105.9 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Which soggy state, exactly?

The crestings are long gone. I tried to identify our builder by the crestings on other buildings around town, where the builder's name was know. I was told that doesn't work. Someday I'll find out the builder.

Our roof had all four layers, including the originals, when we had the re-roofing done in 2011. I don't have the originals, but I know what they look like. I won't have them fabricated but I will purchase "close enough."
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Kansas.1911 wrote:Which soggy state, exactly?

We live in Illahee, WA. Right across the water from Seattle. Not too soggy right now, thankfully.

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Here's a couple shots of when we discovered the original front door opening to the cabin when we removed the shingle siding. They ended up putting a wall right behind to put in a kitchen in 1951.

OriginalFrontDoor.jpg
OriginalFrontDoor.jpg (191.37 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

OriginalFrontDoor1.jpg
OriginalFrontDoor1.jpg (85.61 KiB) Viewed 1864 times

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

and a little portico over it! Are you going to put one somewhere on your house in honour of it?

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Unfortunately, none of the house exterior doors are on a gable end. However, the garage is the next on the list and there is a walk through door on the front of it (gable end). I think that would be a great idea.

A couple years back when I was clearing some brush behind the house, I found an old door half buried in the dirt. Due to the thickness, we believe it was the original front door. Most of the door had long since rotted into the ground, but the knob and latch area was slightly above ground and remarkably still intact.

I was able to save that little section and we have it inside the house next to where the entry is now.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Wow, I would never guess that your present house looked like the original picture. Only the truck, driveway & walk convince me it's the same place! Well done!

El Polacko (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Don M wrote:Wow, I would never guess that your present house looked like the original picture. Only the truck, driveway & walk convince me it's the same place! Well done!

Thanks, Don!

Looking forward to the weather and yard to dry up for Spring. Really want to get started on some landscaping, walkways, etc :D