Cazort House

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Re: Cazort House

Post by Ben D (WavyGlass) »

There are gas lines to every room for heaters. There is a big fireplace in the living room that I think is open on both sides. I say I think, because it has matching mantels on each side of the wall and someone has bricked it in, to install heaters. I also found a chimney in the wall of the dining room. It is a small brick column, with a pipe opening about 8' off the floor. I think the room on the east side of the dining room was the original kitchen. I took out some drop down ceiling and found another pipe opening near the center of the room and evidence on the wall of another flue.

DSCN1148.JPG
DSCN1148.JPG (127.46 KiB) Viewed 973 times
DSCN1149.JPG
DSCN1149.JPG (128.84 KiB) Viewed 973 times

There appears to have been a staircase in the same room as well.
DSCN1152.JPG
DSCN1152.JPG (127.88 KiB) Viewed 973 times

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Sorry...just realized that I repeated some pictures. The room above the old kitchen has the same floral pattern papered boards and evidence of a small(probably metal) rail. I will try to get more pictures this weekend.

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

It's not often Arkansas gets enough snow to last a few days. Just wanted to add this to the collection. View from the road.
IMG_6978.jpg
IMG_6978.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 950 times

dpkmpy8
Knows the area

Post by dpkmpy8 »

Welcome! Beautiful house! I too have a home that I loved as a child, and it is going to be a lot of work, and I have been told I am crazy, so don't think for a moment you are in uncharted waters. Oh, and I have a drafting degree too, FREAKY!
May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

That is freaky! You're my doppelganger.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Hi,
You're in Arkansas! I lived in Independence County for 9 years, attended college in Batesville (4 year Hist. Pres. program back in the 80's) When I lived there, there were still a few old-timers farming with mules! That time is now past forever I think, but I saw it.
Lots of great semi-abandoned big ol' places in the countryside. Looks like yours is in the flats.
The holes in the ceiling were probably heat registers to let the warm air up into the bedrooms, not actual stovepipes/flues.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Thanks for the info, Casey! I'm glad to hear from someone that is familiar with the area.

I am in the River Valley, 20 minutes West of Russellville, in Lamar. You're right. There are a lot of homes that could be brought back and they're cheap. There is an old general store 10 minutes from the house that I would LOVE to get my hands on. It has a stone exterior, but a fire gutted the inside. It sits on an old wagon trail, close to Hwy 64. I don't think the owner is selling though...

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hey everyone. It's been awhile since I have posted. I've now had the house for a little more than a year, and you all are right. It helps to wait and let the house inform me what it wants to be. I haven't done anything except improve some drainage issues. My brother has now agreed to help restore the house, so hopefully more income will be flowing soon.

I wanted to share a few photos found on ancestry. I will attempt to contact the family soon. I have a feeling they have many more, considering they were wealthy and politically active in the state.
Attachments
These are the Cazort brothers. The man on the right is the builder of my house.
These are the Cazort brothers. The man on the right is the builder of my house.
Cazort Brothers.jpg (241.75 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

The Ladies. The house has changed a little.
Attachments
Cazort Ladies.jpg
Cazort Ladies.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 836 times

Ben D (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

And this was there "country home" outside of town. It has burned since.
Attachments
Cazort Country House 2.jpg
Cazort Country House 2.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Cazort Country House.jpg
Cazort Country House.jpg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 836 times