Soon to be old house caretakers in Ohio

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
anne (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Soon to be old house caretakers in Ohio

Post by anne (WavyGlass) »

Hi all,

My husband and I are in contract to buy a 1909 house in Central Ohio. This will be our first house and we couldn't be more excited. It is very intact with original woodwork, hardware, and an adorable little carriage house/garage.

The only thing is we can't decide what style it is. Any thoughts?
Attachments
5172.jpg
5172.jpg (178.48 KiB) Viewed 1820 times
517.jpg
517.jpg (206.76 KiB) Viewed 1820 times

mkeller234
Been here a while

Re: Soon to be old house caretakers in Ohio

Post by mkeller234 »

Well, it is beautiful. I'd say that i see a mix of Federal and Dutch colonial styles.

anne (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Thanks! We think it is gorgeous too, and had decided that it was probably a mix of styles. I can't wait to move in and get started.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

It's like a Dutch Colonial/Shingle put in a blender with Foursquare sauce. But it's not foursquare, because a) more elaborate, and b) not visibly deeper than it it wide.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

I actually like the all white too. It's already to enough elegant detail, that it doesn't really need a complicated paint scheme.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

What's the style?

Charming, of course!

anne (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Charm it has in spades. Hopefully all will go smoothly from here out. I'm sure we are getting ahead of ourselves planning anything, since the inspection happens tomorrow.

The attic is finished and will make the most amazing studio space for me and all of my fiber arts and photography goodies. I just can't imagine not living in this house.

Don M

Post by Don M »

It remindes me of the shingle style houses I have seen on the NY Finger Lakes or on the Maine Coast although it's not shingles! Very good looking & a classic style.

anne (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

So the house is in remarkable condition. Just a few issues with the box gutters and the big ticket item of updating the electrical system. Nothing too scary as far as I'm concerned, so we will carry on with the process.

While I was there for the inspection I found all of the old wooden storm windows. They even have their own storage box in the carriage house. So cool.

Don M

Post by Don M »

anne wrote:So the house is in remarkable condition. Just a few issues with the box gutters and the big ticket item of updating the electrical system. Nothing too scary as far as I'm concerned, so we will carry on with the process.

While I was there for the inspection I found all of the old wooden storm windows. They even have their own storage box in the carriage house. So cool.

What great news about the storm windows! One of my parent's homes in upstate NY had all wood screens & storms---great quality but some work in the spring & fall.