Charles Anderson Home- 1895 Queen Anne

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
dpkmpy8
Knows the area

Re: Charles Anderson Home- 1895 Queen Anne

Post by dpkmpy8 »

I remember this house when a kindly old woman lived here. She was 93 when she passed, and had lived here on and off since she was born. She outlived two husbands, broke her hip three times, and considered herself blessed beyond measure. When I see the house in the condition it is in, it is sad. There are times when I am alone in the house, when the sun is shining in the windows in just the right way and the birds are chirping, and all is still, that I catch a feeling of warmth and love. I can even smell the herbal tea she would drink. I spent many an hour after mowing her lawn chatting at the dining table. I told her I wanted an old house like hers when I grew up. She said that I just may have the opportunity to live in hers some day. I only home I do her home justice. I truly feel like I am a caretaker, not an owner, because it is not my house. But it is my home.
May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Wow! First off...it's been so much fun reading this entire thread & looking through all those photos! I made a few comments here & there on some of the lovely details you were showing us all.

Reading your last post brought tears to my eyes. There is no doubt you feel her presence. There is also no doubt she knows you're there & approves wholehartedly.

I feel that sometimes in my place too. I don't have the history with this place like you do, but I did a deed search right after buying the house & found all the old owners up in the cemetary. Feeling like a caretaker, and not necessarily an "owner" is something (I believe) only old house lovers get.

We understand that to do anything that would permanently mar the integrity of the place, whether structurally or visually, is akin to sacrilege.

Enjoy your old place, along with the memories you shared there so many years ago! We will all be along for the ride as you update the progress!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

dpkmpy8
Knows the area

Post by dpkmpy8 »

Opened up the front porch a few weekends ago. Have been clearing brush and debris from the yard as well. Currently working on demo of the old water lines and boiler lines from the basement and installing new electrical service.

Here is a quick pic of the opened up front porch.
http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx14 ... enedup.jpg

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

dpk, had a look at photo bucket pics. the deconstruction is going fine i see. Nice to see all the all the good bits are still intact. now that the studs are bare what is the plan for the structure issues you eluded too? Also noticed you also restore cars as well. I have done several over the years and am currently am restoring a 50 Chevy, although a fleetline.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

The porch looks so nice, makes a wonderful difference. :)

Susan

Don M

Post by Don M »

The Chevy reminded me of my parents first car after WWII a "Hardtop convertible" Chevy 1948 or 50 I think. It was a good looking car.

dpkmpy8
Knows the area

Post by dpkmpy8 »

I just got rid of that car. Not sure what the next project will be.

I have been doing some more gutting inside and a bit of paint outside as well as some window restoration. I have not been keeping up, but I will try to catch up with some pictures here and my blog.