My Personal Tara

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

My Personal Tara

Post by SouthernLady »

Hello, I am SouthernLady, and I am addicted to Victorian. But then again, that was obvious! I am a transplant from OldHouseWeb, also sick of the spamming.

Known as the McCuison House (thanks to my nosing around in the records), it was built somewhere between 1895-1900 by a man who had grown tired of living in his brother's 1870s home, just 1.5 miles down the road (also still standing and owned by descendants of the original family.) I did some searching when my friend bought the place after it had been abandoned for two years (and badly cared for before that), and tracked down the great-nieces of the last McCuison to live in the home. They are very excited the house is being restored, and are tracking down original photographs for my use in restoration.

The McCuison farm was originally one of the largest in its tiny, sleepy farming community. One side was for tobacco (that's the side with the 1870s home), and the other for cattle and foodcrops ("my" end). Jim McCuison decided it was time to start a family, so it was agreed he would build his home on the opposite end of the farm and he and his new bride would manage things on "their side". At some point, county lines were moved to use the old road that divided the farm as the county divide. At this point, it was decided the two brothers would take the land on their side of the road for themselves. I was told by the descendants that the porch on the right-hand side of the house was enclosed in the 1940s, but they are not certain. "My side" was farmed until about the 1960s, at which time the outlaying land was sold and houses were built on it.

So... here she is, untouched in her 2-year abandoned condition:

It might not look that bad, but the roof had been leaking for an unknown period of time in the dining room/kitchen area, and was slowly destroying the original wood floors. Dog pee was everywhere, along with the remnants of mice. Not pretty, let me tell you. So, up goes the tarps:

[img=left]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8316/8020438637_367381a719.jpg[/img]
[img=left]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8289/7565989738_3d69bce524.jpg[/img]

And then we had the opposite side of the house with trees bushes that had grown well past the second-story bedroom window. Loverly...

And we move inside:

Kitchen

Horrid patch-up job by the realtor company of the awful leak in the dining room:

Both the fireplaces in the parlor and dining room have these funny holes... Ash dump? Would this have been a wood-burning or coal-burning fireplace? Currently there are lines for gas logs running up each hole, but I hope to return them to their original purpose.

The dining room and kitchen are open to each other. The people who restored the wood floors said that it was the original wood, and the floors don't show signs of a wall having been removed. Is this common to a farmouse of this age? I am not sure it looks right...

We chose colors historic to the period to get by with for now. I do want to make it as historically accurate as possible, and I would greatly appreciate guidance!

View of part of the parlor. There has already been much work done prior to this picture. Paint had been stripped from the staircase, and the walls painted a color from the period. I plan to try a tan color damask wallpaper.

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: My Personal Tara

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

lovely!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Locust Quarter
Knows the back streets

Post by Locust Quarter »

I love that house. And always glad to see another North Carolinian on here. Was just looking at your most recent post and so came looking for the outside shots to be sure I remembered the place right. Very grand on the outside for the ceiling heights inside, but again, nothing is standard in old houses. Someone at some point wanted columns added, and who can blame them. Its a great feature. The house looks surprisingly low to the ground, but lots of houses are. I am glad mine is not. Makes it easier to deal with if you have to go under it for anything. Yours I suspect is a bit of a chore in that respect.
Is there usable space on the 3rd floor with all those dormers, or just attic?
As for the combined kitchen and dining area. Not normal in the era of your house, for places that are as grand looking as yours is now. But I am guessing someone at some point did a lot of work to your place to sort of gentrify it. I bet the columns are not original. It probably started out as much humbler looking farm house, which explains the low ceilings. And large kitchen dining combo in one of those is not so surprising. Someone a some point decided to put the Mt. Vernon porch on the house, likely in the 40's. A lot of those got done back around then.
Attachments
View through the old Crape Myrtles.jpg
View through the old Crape Myrtles.jpg (13.1 KiB) Viewed 3137 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

Hi Southern Lady & Welcome, I remember you from OHW & am gald to see you have moved over here! Your house is coming along well. I would agree that the dining-kitchen combo seems unusual in a house such as yours; even if it had a major renovation. Kitchens may have been large but were usually separted from the dining room. My 1830s farmhouse always had a separate kitchen.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

Update!

Things are starting to come together on the McCuison house! Been putting in a lot of hours in trying to get the overgrown landscape under control since the weather has been so nice. Here are some before-and-current photos. I am not saying "before-and-after" because nothing has been completed as of yet.

Scored some nice wicker porch furniture sans cushions for under $100. Needs repainting/repair, but beggars can't be choosers! ;) Still undergoing landscape cleanup.

Parlor. Period color on walls, my Kimball reproduction parlor furniture almost all moved in (another Craigslist score--got all of this--including Italian marble tables--for less than the price of one chair!) Piano lamp is a genuine 1880s lamp, but has been wired for electricity. (They did a good job--no damage done to lamp) Coal hod and mantel mirror were finds in a dark corner of one of my favorite antique shops. The glass had been replaced at some point, but I can't complain as I got an awesome deal on it. I believe it is from the mid-to-late 1800s judging by the construction, screws, etc., but I am not certain. Working on getting my 1865 square piano moved in the next week or so. I am planning to put it by the stairs. I am also planning to pick up an empire revival sofa of similar tan fabric and same wood shade. I know it's not an exact style match, but I have been having a fit finding a sofa to work.

I plan to strip all of the woodwork over time, as well as remove the ceilings to reveal the beadboard above.

LQ, thank you for the comment! According to the descendants of John McCuison, it seems the Mt. Vernon porch was added in the 1940s (you nailed it!), and the side porch was enclosed at that time. The dormers are false. My attic has scuttle access, with no windows. :( The original house has a full dirt cellar underneath, complete with hinged coal-drop window (I assume that is what it is; the window is completely below-ground, with a narrow slit in the ground by my kitchen door. The top of the window has two large hinges which open into the cellar, and there is staining around the brick wall that seems to indicate a bin of some sort used to sit there. While inspecting the cellar with some friends, one found a large tong-type tool that appears to be hand forged. Perhaps this was used to push the coal for the radiators (which have long ago been removed). Surprisingly to me, there are original horizontal beadboard walls in the cellar staircase. An acquaintance of mine works at a historic plantation in Charlotte. She came by recently to see my house and said from what she has learned she believes the family may have been a mid-to-upper-middle-class family in a rural area, which would explain some of the fancies in the house. I learned that two of the six original children became doctors and the only daughter became a nurse.

I have been told that my house most likely looked like this one originally, which was built around 1890 and is not far down the road. I have been in this home, and the interiors are very similar.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

And as to the kitchen, I am quite stumped on it as well. There is a cookstove hookup on the wall behind my stove (hidden behind microwave on wall), and the chimney also stands. A chimney pro told me the kitchen chimney is the same age as the rest. Why would there be a kitchen stove and a fireplace in the same room? No walls have been removed as the pine floors are original and show no signs of being altered by a wall. There is a "mystery building" now attached to the back of the house. If I am repeating myself here, I apologize. I can't remember if I posted the following here or on the "other" site... The electrical inspector who grew up in the community told me that building looks to him to have been a summer kitchen with a nice storage space/loft above. (Two story building) There is another home down the road with a similar, but smaller, structure that remains unattached and is certainly the kitchen to that house. The descendants told me they were always told that building was a shop of some sort but they did not know for what. The first floor is now on a concrete slab.

Upon doing some checking online, I found the 1900 census for the property, which lists it as a farm, and John McCuison as a blacksmith. ?!?! Two weekends ago, my mom and I were doing work around the building, clearing debris, and my mom found an old hand-forged spike. Could McCuison have made that himself? Makes for an interesting idea! :) The room currently has old barnwood panels for the walls, but I inspected with a flashlight and found there are old horizontal boards with what reminds me of white milkpaint still on them. Locals tell me they think the barnwood on the walls came from an old barn that was once on the property. There is a hookup for a wood stove, which is long gone.

So now I don't know if what I thought was the summer kitchen is instead the old blacksmith shop... But I do know it had a covered walkway at one time, which the look-alike house still has. Mine has since been enclosed and rooms added on.

Mystery it is!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Southern Lady, glad to see the updates. The home is coming along nicely and the furniture looks like should just be there. Interesting the way you have placed the furniture. We did the same thing when we started furnishing Gothichome. You see a item and think its rather large, get into the room and it seems tiny so you spread it out a bit hoping to fill the room. I have long learned from that no matter how big the furniture once in a room with generous floor space and tall ceiling they all look small. Your piano lamp looks Like a Bradley and Hubbard and the year could be any ware from 1860 to 1900.

SouthernLady

Post by SouthernLady »

GothicHome, you are right! It is a B&H. :)

This is the "before & current" of what I have dubbed the "green room". Descendants of the builders have told me this was part of the original L-shaped porch which was enclosed.

Sadly, I cannot find a picture of the room before any sort of renovation started. Damaged/missing woodwork had already begun being replaced and the wainscoting had been added.

A period-correct green color was selected and the floors were refinished. I am searching for a light to replace the chandelier (which is quite awkward), and white wicker pieces to furnish the room. I have English ivy-patterned reproduction lace panels in the windows (and some ordered for the big window). I found the curtains on clearance at Lowes. My mom and I were going to make some according to a décor book I have from the period, but these will do until I can. Although I am not sure if it would be considered historically accurate, I plan to make this into a little reading/plant room.

If anybody has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

SouthernLady

Update!

Post by SouthernLady »

Been very busy with work lately, which has taken me all across the state. I catch myself driving through small towns, observing the little details on their old homes, trying to glean new ideas!

Here's some of the latest updates. Nothing much in the way of actual house restoration, but more of the homey touches:

I posted several weeks ago about a beautiful lamp I won on eBay that broke at the base during shipment. I am happy to say the JB Weld worked, and although the lamp is kinda crooked now from certain angles, it works! :D (I joke to visitors that it has scoliosis, like me, so it's the perfect lamp for me, haha) It now rests on top of my 1865 square piano, which got moved in last month...

I named her Penelope Wilson. Long story...

Someone a few miles down the road from me had this old beauty on Craigslist, which I just happened to notice. Original wood casters still on it. I am guessing maybe 1880s?

The "UTI Yellow" paint is going away! I have settled with this slightly-before-period color of blue, with an antique white, also a historic color from Valspar. This room was originally an upstairs bedroom, but it is going to become my library/office. The original tongue and groove ceiling is behind the pasted-on tiles, but I am slightly concerned they may be asbestos tiles... :shock: I would have already torn them off, but I guess I need to test first... :|

I hope to have more pictures to post after the weekend!