Never ending windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Never ending windows

Post by mattswabb »

Started #55. It's a garage window. Usually I do a few at a time but I'm waiting for the weather to get a little better before doing house windows. The garage windows were boarded up and all the glass was broken by vandals years ago. The bottom sash operated freely and the top moved with a little persuading and 3 of the weights were still attached. These were from the 20's. This will be an easy window. The paint is very weak an no glass to worry about.

4 years ago I started with the garage window on the other side. It too was missing the glass.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Yeah we had a 2 car garage with triple double hungs on either side when I was a kid. My mother caught the neighbor boy with a .22 in the process of shooting out the glass on his side of our garage. When confronted his mother said her son would never take his .22 without his father's permission!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Reminds me of my cousins and the empty house next door... not that it really mattered in that case, that's a 1977 house that was never finished because the owner went bankrupt and in all honesty will never be finished because it's too far gone and too... eccentric for anybody else I guess. The late owner's wife is clinging to the ruins for some weird reason and meticulously tends the garden while the house itself and the front garden continue sliding into despair. The property is worth a fortune, probably 7-digit area, can't figure out for my dear life why she doesn't sell.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

#55 done.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Nice!

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Next up is the entire front of the house. 12 windows plus the dormer with 3 more.

I'm starting with the 4 on the porch. These have horrible storms but I'm looking at making them into a wood/vinyl storm. I plan on making wood frames that the existing storms or screens slip in to a rabbet on the back. I'll replace vinyl outer with the wood frame.

I made a mock up of the wood frame out of some plywood. It has a fake glazing bevel.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

You are so inspirational. We are almost done with our addition and my wood refinishing on the inside project. Then I need to learn to do windows.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

#56 and 57 are done. The lower sashes were so heavy, 40 lbs each. The glass is 36"x40" and 1/4" thick. One window had double strength in it and I had to buy one pane. It was 16 lbs too light for the weights. The glass shop didn't have any new so I got one used for $10. New would have probably been $50.

Still need to do the screen/storm wood frames. I have them in process now.

And the porch furniture is now on this side of the porch while the other side's windows are being done

ashevillian
Settling in

Post by ashevillian »

Great house and very nice windows! You are a true inspiration to the rest of us!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

They look sharp! Are those some of the ones someone stole the leaded uppers for? Will you eventually remake them?