Never ending windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Re: Never ending windows

Post by BungalowMo »

Matt...are you just nailing in plywood in the open spot while you do the window work?

Are you doing any framework resto along with it? I've only done 2 windows & all of my wood framework needs stripping & sanding & the linseed mix and a few layers of shellac too.

Just seems to take forever. Plus the fact that I've done a bathroom resto & porch work in between.

Anywho....You have been such an inspiration! Your place looks absolutely amazing & I love the colors you chose.
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I rip 2x4's to 1.5"x1.5" and cut the length about as long as the opening. I then screw them to where the interior sash stops were and then 1/2 plywood on the inside. This allows me to work on the entire outside without anything in the way. There is a bit of the inside sill exposed but if it is going to rain I'll protect it.

On every window I do both sashes removing the glass and all exterior paint. Almost all the sash interior surfaces are in good shape and match the patina of the inside of the house. So I only touch up what is needed. I strip the exterior jambs and prime and paint. Then paint the storms. All new ropes and spring bronze.

My wife picked the colors.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Finished #38 today. 2nd floor window and my tools in the basement. I've been doing this for 3 years now and still I cannot remember all the tools that are required to install a window. I probably did an extra 10 trips to the basement to grab something I needed. When I filled my tool tote before I started I could see the bottom and when I took it downstairs when I was done I could barely fit it all in. I need a tool checklist.

I took #39 sashes out this evening. I only need to do the top one. The ropes were missing and 2 years ago we had the window up and it stayed without a support. We did this for months and one day it dropped and shattered. I did that sash then.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

That colour (Behr calls it Elderberry) seems to have been a popular colour for decades, our 1880 Gothic was original painted that colour as well. Same colour I'm returning it to.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

#39 is done and 40 is underway. Almost to the halfway point.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

You have probably described your methods before, but I am curious. Are you using a razor blade to remove the old putty? How did you strip the wood on that bump-out so quickly? Heat gun?

Sorry for all of the questions! You seem to be doing top notch work, at a professional pace. I'm completely envious.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

On most of my windows I'm only working on the outside surface and leaving the inside as is. The inside patina matches and most only need a touch up or cleaning. So no steam box putty removal.

I use a 3" putty knife and torch to heat the putty. I heat a short bit at a time and use the putty knife to shield the glass. Then use a steel scrapers to clear away the putty. No carbide on the glass. It will scratch it. I work small areas and try not to heat the glass too much. I can remoe the glass from a lower sash in about 20 minutes and the last upper i did with 20 panes took about 1.25 hours.

For paint removal on the house I use scrapers. 90% of the work is with my carbide scraper then 5% with my steel scrapers and the rest with sanding.

No heat. I don't want to burn the house down.
Last edited by mattswabb on Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

This is my now favorite scraper

http://www.amazon.com/Bahco-625XXX-Prem ... co+scraper

And my other one I use a lot. This one has the curved and pointed scraper.

http://www.amazon.com/Hyde-10450-Contou ... nt+scraper
Last edited by mattswabb on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I haven't finished #40 (close) yet but started on 41 and 42 today. On these 2 the lower sashes are about 2/3 of the window height and the uppers used to be leaded glass and only 1/3 of the height. They were stolen in the 70's and then replaced with standard single light sashes. There were 10 of these in total and 3 survived. So eventually we plan to get them remade.

The lowers in the front of the house on the first floor have rediculously thick glass. One of the lowers I did today had a piece that was broke. I taped it up when we moved in and today bought a new piece of glass. It was 24x40 and .288 thick. The glass supplier didn't carry this exact size so I bought a piece of 1/4" glass, $42, wow. I figured that was thick enough and I'll check the sash weight and compare it to the weights and adjust if necessary.

Follow up: turns out the thinner glass was 1lb lighter and no need to adjust any weights. 27lbs compared to 28 for the other that is original.

Last edited by mattswabb on Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

And I'm at the halfway point. #40 is done.

I worked on the jambs on the next 2 and the paint was alligatored and on there so well. I got one stripped and it kicked my but. I covered the other in smart strip and Saran Wrap for tomorrow and hopefully that one will be easier.