Never ending windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
heartwood

Re: Never ending windows

Post by heartwood »

i'm guessing that someone used thick glass for security reasons or because that's what was available at the time...you can use 1/8" glass but you'd have to find smaller weights...

paint stripping = butt kicking! the smart strip (or other decent strippers) is messy but easier and, dare i say, safer...i find that often a second coat of stripper is required...when speaking with a tech at the company, he assured me that a small amount of the stuff left in nooks and crannies should not be an issue...i use a brass or plastic brush the size of a big toothbrush to get into the small voids...

i hope you are getting lots of compliments from family, friends and passers-by...
...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

I finished 41 and 42 today.

The other day I started #43 and last night I covered the jamb with smart strip and Saran Wrap and Sunday I'll be out there in the sun stripping the paint. This is the last window on the west side of the house except for the attic.

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Looks really nice

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Finished #43 today. This is it for the year for windows. Fortunately I didn't have a job this summer to interfere with my more important work. I do need to make a couple of storms.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

Like heartwood said, I hope someone in your hood has admired your work. You've certainly made dramatic improvements, and that deserves to be noticed.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I've been working on storm windows. I completed 2 of them for 2 small fixed sashes I did this summer. No screens just storms.

103 years and never a storm window till now.

I also am working on storms and screens for 3 windows. These 3 have casement style storms since they are hinged and swing out so they can be removed from the frame and swapped with the screens. The screens are long gone so I'm making everything new. These 3 are early on my list for next spring.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Here are the 3 completed storms. From a distance they look similar but the main thing is they have the center muntin and match the rest of the house. I also made screens but they still need painted and finished up.

The plan in the spring is to set up the scaffold and do these 3 windows first then go up another level and start replacing the cedar shingles.

Sooth (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by Sooth (WavyGlass) »

Wow. Amazing work! The windows look amazing and beautiful. I love the dark red.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Where you been Sooth? How's your abode coming along? I ain't seen you on here, thought you died!

A salvage joint south of here has some pretty nice six cross panel doors, you want their info to check on them?

Clarkbug
Settling in

Post by Clarkbug »

mattswabb wrote:Here are the 3 completed storms. From a distance they look similar but the main thing is they have the center muntin and match the rest of the house. I also made screens but they still need painted and finished up.

The plan in the spring is to set up the scaffold and do these 3 windows first then go up another level and start replacing the cedar shingles.

I'm in awe of your work pace. Your skills are impressive.

How are you making your storms? Mortise and tenon? Rabbetted? Pocket screws? Inquiring minds want to know!