Never ending windows

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Never ending windows

Post by mattswabb »

Those were some of the ones that were stolen. We hope one day to replace them but that might be years away. All I need is a glass grinder so I can make beveled glass and I'll figure out how to do it myself.

I got a good start on the next 2 and should have them done on Sunday then I'll work on the screen/storm frames.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heck, matt's an inspiration to me and I make a living restoring windows!!!

the heaviest sash I have worked (by myself, I might add...) were 75 pounds...the weights were about 40 inches long and weighed about 38 pounds...wouldn't you know the rope on one broke sending the weight to sit on the bottom of the hollow...the pocket opening was just large enough to get the weight out but first I had to bloody my fingers sliding it up with shear grit and ego to angle it up and out...the most difficult weight removal in my personal history...

...jade

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Wonderful work as always Matt!

Near where I used to live in england there was an old fish&chip shop that had the most enormous sash as the storefront window - the biggest I have ever seen before or after, the bottom sash was around 10 feet wide and maybe 3.5 feet high, and it used to open. I dread to think how heavy it was or how big the (probably lead) sash weights were. Last time I was back there it had been ripped out and replaced with a modern double glazed panel unfortunately - maybe scrap value the lead weights covered the cost of the new unit!
Mick...

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

#58 and 59 are done. Now to finish their storms

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Worked on the storm/screen frames today. Got 2 put together, fitted and painted. The other 2 are just assembled and need fitted and painted. There is a rabbet on the backside that hold the screens or storms.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

make me dizzy, how fast you get it done!

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Got 2 of the screen/storm frames in today. I'll finish up the other 2 tomorrow and next up are the windows above the porch.

watergirl (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by watergirl (WavyGlass) »

Matt, how are you attaching the storms to the window frame? They look amazing and I'd love to eventually replace my aluminum storms with something like this.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

I used this but from Lowes
http://www.hardwarestore.com/screen-cli ... 06514.aspx

I plan on doing a how to on building these and then using framed windows and screens.

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Hers a pic of the clips holding the screens in place on the back of the frame

I started the next 3 over the weekend. 20 over 1. These 8 above the porch then 12 attic and 1 garage and I'm done.