Another OHW Transplant and a New-Old House (1851)

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Re: Another OHW Transplant and a New-Old House (1851)

Post by Texas_Ranger »

I think the best choice if you want to paint would be mineral paint.

Your floor looks like it was faux-grained, fascinating!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Is your inside transom glassed? Is the outside glassed transom simply a storm window?
The floor covering you have peeled up is vinyl the looks like wood? Seems like it might have been less expensive to refinishe the original floor rather than to cover it?!

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Don M wrote:Is your inside transom glassed? Is the outside glassed transom simply a storm window?
The floor covering you have peeled up is vinyl the looks like wood? Seems like it might have been less expensive to refinishe the original floor rather than to cover it?!

Yes, they are both glass. The outer transom bothers me because it obscures the view of the original transom with the oval window. I almost wish it didn't have the vertical "grilles" on it as it's difficult to see the original transom through it.

The newer floor in the dining room is some kind of tongue-in-groove wood flooring. I thought it was laminate at first, but when I started picking at it, I realized it wasn't. It seems to be in sections that are about three "boards" wide (~ 8") and 6' long. It isn't even attached to the original floor in any way, so it's relatively easy to remove. There was just a thin piece of foam padding between it and the original floor. ...I'm not sure why they chose to cover the original floor in this manner, unless there's a really bad spot in the original floor that I haven't yet uncovered. Even so, I'd rather have the original floor with its flaws than this on top of it. I guess that goes back to differing opinions on what looks better. The newer floor runs through the dining room and kitchen. When I do pull it up in its entirety, I'll probably stop at the kitchen and then re-evaluate what I want to do there once the time comes to update the kitchen (which won't be anytime soon!). :shock:

Texas_Ranger, can you explain more about faux-grained wood floors? I'll be sure to post more pictures once I get to that point. Thanks!

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Sounds like your new floor is engineered hardwood, basically t&g plywood with more or less nice wood veneer on top. That stuff is insanely popular in Europe and has been for about 30 years because it can be installed over about any flat surface. Some even install it over gross carpet. Since the actual hardwood is only a thin (1/8") veneer I still consider it a disposable floor and only use it under very specific circumstances, e.g. for temporarily covering an original tile or terrazzo floor with wood - or in a newish house with concrete slab subfloor.

Faux graining is a process, in which realistic wood grain is painted over a solid base coat (usually almond or beige) using special tools called graining combs. Then a stain adds the wood colour. This technique was commonly used on doors made of pine or other lesser woods to make them appear like fancy and expensive woods like oak or mahogony. Getting this past looking tacky is pretty much a lost art these days. Back in the early 1900s there were some real artists, you'd be hard-pressed to distinguish their work from real lumber.

Have a look at the spots where the old finish is worn away, if these show a different wood grain than the finished parts or are plain paint you have faux graining.

TaborQueen (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by TaborQueen (WavyGlass) »

Congratulations on your new house. It is so helpful that you are able to use the original windows to guide you. :)
1890 Queen Anne

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Has anyone ever had issues with box gutters backing up and causing ceiling leaks?

I knew about this from the inspection report, but we had such an unusually dry summer that no-one was sure at the time if it was still an active leak or not. With the winter we've had, it's become apparent that it is, indeed, still an active leak. My Dad came into town for a visit this past weekend and informed me it was raining on him in the bathroom! :P ...This is in the upstairs bathroom, which is at the front of the house (window above the front door).

The gutters are completely frozen right now, but I guess I'll take a peak once everything thaws (which I hope is sooner than later!).

Don M

Post by Don M »

This is a common occurance when everything freezes & backs up. I had big ice dams all along the eves on my house but I have a standing seam metal roof so water backing up behind the ice dam can't leak back under shingles & damage my plaster. My MA house was a different situation & I had the same problem you are experiencing. I had to shovel off the area behind the ice dam & then break up & push off the ice to stop the leaks. Fortunately my house had a low sloped roof so it wasn't very dangerous. I have used electric roof heaters in the past & they seemed to work pretty well. I installed them on the roof & in the gutter to keep some water flowing.

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Thanks, Don. :) I've got someone coming out to take a better look at it. The previous owner said he tried to seal a section of the box gutter to remedy that leak, but I guess he didn't quite get it.

I wasn't planning on doing anything to the middle room with the bad wallpaper in it so soon, but I discovered a bit of a moisture problem behind the wallpaper on the outside wall. So, down it came this evening.

That outside wall is definitely going to require some plaster repair. It was a nice surprise, however, to find the rest of the walls in relatively good condition.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I smell processed meat product in close proximity, I think.

Mark_09 wrote:Nice post

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

You pulled down an entire room of wallpaper in an evening? Because I will be green with envy if that is the case!