Period furnishing for our period homes

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Re: Period furnishing for our period homes

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Why does polyurethane get such bad press?
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Kansas.1911 wrote:Why does polyurethane get such bad press?

It's irreversible and you can't remove it without sanding, which removes original material; conservationists shun any material like that.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

Kansas.1911 wrote:Why does polyurethane get such bad press?

you cant touch up wear either, like you can with shellac or oil
Mick...

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Thanks, Mick and Casey. I always wondered about that. Here in Kansas, most of the "antiques" aren't that old--mostly golden oak that came out West on the rail lines in the 20s. We eat on our old tables and serve from the old buffets. My husband put polyurethane on the pieces as he refinished them, and has recently turned to oil for pieces that are just "pretty." I wish I could own pieces that are worthy of being conserved by conservationists.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Oaktree, was looking at your new old table. Noticed some thing else unique. There appears to he a a long dove tail slots going across the table top keyed onto a long dove tail. I can see the usefulness of this construction. It would secure the table to the cleats with out fasteners and allow the boards to expand and contract freely. It would also maintain the boards flatness not allowing them to cup. Maybe Casey, Alford or one of the fine carpenters can elaborate further. I bet this table is a true colonial period item.m

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Here's a dry sink that my husband refurbished. It is inside the house now, but it's the first thing he's thought about selling. When it was in poor shape, we bought it for $45. He had to put quite a bit into it.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I started an interest in glass, but I don't intend to go over the deep end. I don't know what this one is, but I love it. I pulled old glass out from various hiding spots and have been looking at it through the summer sunlight.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Kansas, the wash stand looks great, the top draw looks to be serpentine or is it a staining effect. It appears off centre though. Fine glass items as well. Glass I Find is realy hard to pin down as to age or manufacturer with out a label or markings, the quality and age can some times be gleaned form construction, finish, or style. You ruby art glass looks to be good quality pressed glass affair.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

That serpentine looks off because the sun was in the east when the photo was taken. In real life, it is symmetrical serpentine! My vase seems to be an amberina color with a bunch of gold in the base. It is pressed glass nevertheless. I hope to discover more someday.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Here's decor--a 1911 atlas page. I have it hanging on the bathroom wall so when you are thinking about things, you can see all the little towns that have since disappeared.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare