Period furnishing for our period homes

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Gothichome

Re: Period furnishing for our period homes

Post by Gothichome »

On googling both brands I see Seth Thomas clock company was a pretty big deal as far as American clock makers go. They sure made a lot of different models. I can see why they are highly collectible, lots of different styles to key on for the collector. Not to mention the the cross interest with collecting advertising clocks. Also interesting is the Waterbury eventually morphing into the Timex company. We tend not to be collectors of any one thing. Are interest lies more in the general style of the period. We purchase what we need to fill a space In the home. Our only problem (OK, my problem) is not being able to sit on my hands at an auction. My hands just naturally want to flail around in the air in sinc with the auctioneers canter.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

As some of you know, I am a restorer of antique reed organs. Last year I made a deal to restore a small pipe organ for a fellow in return for this magnificent musical instrument. It's a Mason & Risch Vocalion organ from 1891, which was designed to be a compact and inexpensive substitute for a pipe organ.

I spent a couple of months reassembling it and doing a few long-neglacted maintenance and restoration tasks, and then I hooked it up to the wind machine and was able to start the arduous and highly technical job of voicing and tuning the reeds (and recreating a dozen or more missing ones). Now it is done. Here's a short sample of what it sounds like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIEMhLYgXWw
This is my best ever acquisition, the kind of thing a collector like me usually can never but hope to have, the king of pump organs.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Casey, What a beautiful organ and the sound is amazing. You are certainly a very talented guy. :)

Susan

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Any consert hall would be proud to have that organ Casey. Your versatility and range of work is great. Now I have 4000sq feet to restore. Our welcome any time. I'll provide the beer and steaks.
You know the sad part is that as a whole pump organs are really inexpensive to purchase, not because they aren't valuable but just the size and the weight of them make them a bear to move and the To make them work you have to pump them at the same time your playing them? Would that same thought prevail with the air pump unit like yours?

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

This thing is on the verge of "permanent installation" territory. It weight over 1000 lbs and the case is > 40" deep, so it can't pass through a single door without being broken apart at the glue joints (which I did). But a real pipe organ of the same footprint would be unsatisfying, this has nine "ranks" and is a fairly complete and satisfying instrument, with real pipe organ style ivory keyboards, etc..
And it's very Gothic!
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

If you know it, can you play "The Holy City" on that organ sometime?

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

The sound is wonderful. I don't think I've ever heard a reed organ but I quite like it. You're right in that a pipe organ of that size would be weak. Does a reed organ go by the name "pump organ?" I've heard plenty of pump organs.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

Here's a little bookcase which was built by a Grandfather I never knew, for his young bride.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367710110.032367.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367710110.032367.jpg (98.59 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Very nice Lauren, your grand father was a talented guy, the detail and the extra effort sets it apart. And the hart shaped frieze must have pleased your grand mother.

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

Yes, Grandmother told us he was a very talented finish carpenter doing the work in many fine mansions on Chicago's north shore. The bookcase is all we've ever had of him because he left the family when Dad was around 11 yrs. here is more detail, he carved the grooves with a nail.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367767833.289415.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367767833.289415.jpg (128.31 KiB) Viewed 3269 times
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root