Period furnishing for our period homes

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
TuckerTavern
Been here a good while

Re: Period furnishing for our period homes

Post by TuckerTavern »

Gothichome wrote:A very nice picture, any idea who she is? Looking at the quality of the work I bet it was an expensive commission for a quality and skilled portraitist.

Not yet, I'm still trying to get more information from the seller. I love art and really think it gives an historic house a nice touch.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Picked up another super Reed Organ UPDATED

Post by Casey »

UPDATE at bottom!
Sombreuil wrote:This came up on CL two weeks ago; I had vowed in 1985 (when I saw a 1881 catalog illustration of one) to buy one if ever I saw one available. This model is really, really rare. High Eastlake; the craftsmanship and detail are boggling; catalog price was $405 in 1881. It's the kind of piece I could build a room around.

I have begun a long process of cleaning 130 years of old polish and soot from the case, it's really filthy.
I'm not worried about making it play, it will eventually be restored musically but I'm in no hurry as I have several other perfectly restored instruments in my small but world-class collection, but only one parlor organ case.

Casey

Hi,
I finally got my lathe set up in the shop so I was able to make the turnings that were missing. I only had a very unclear engraving to go by for the main finial, and I'm not that good at turning, but I think it turned out OK; better than nothing.

And a little tiny finial for the end of the "towel bar"-style music rest:
The little finial in place, it's the RH one:
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Pretty! What's the stop lineup?

Casey

Post by Casey »

Hi Neighmond,
It is a standard two-row parlor organ, with bass/treble couplers and Vox Humana; nothing special at all.
:(
Casey

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nothing special! I think that's a bit of an understatement. If the acorn turning is your unskilled work, what will you produce once you do get good. Well done.

kelt65
Stalwart

Post by kelt65 »

Very nice work! To my eye, anyway, it looks perfect.

Casey

Post by Casey »

Gothichome wrote:Nothing special! I think that's a bit of an understatement. If the acorn turning is your unskilled work, what will you produce once you do get good. Well done.

I used to be really skilled at turning, but all my tools are dull (including my hand/eye co-ord.) I had to get this turned out in an hour, (I had no time to make a pattern, this was free-handed) so considering all that I like it, but it didn't totally meet my expectation/vision. Anyway, it's closer to it than anything I could have bought ready-made, and it's solid walnut, so there's that.
The mini-finial actually did realize all my hopes.
Casey

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Very pretty. Are you a fan of dusting? hahaha
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Ok folks, wife fears for my mental well being. Was at an antique fair picked this up (all in the name of research and period correctness of course ).
Early Chinese export ware from the Quing dynasty, qua long period. It is and export coffee cup. Over 270 years old. Upper management just shook her head.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well folks, just spent two weeks in the state of Oklahoma. Managed to find a few hours for antiquing. A nice mall in Woodward. About the only thing in Woodward actually. Not bad, found very little Victorian type old but if you have an arts and crafts late teens to early thirties home you should find treasures. In Oklahoma City though there is a great antique mall, with real antiques not just the usual garage sale junk. I would highly recommend a visit. A really long visit. I found a few treasures at really good prices, but if you have the urge to spend the big money on the realty great antiques they have that as well. 23 St Antique Mall. http://Www.antiques23.com. I'll give it 5 stars, two thumbs up or any other high standard you may chose.