Period furnishing for our period homes

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Neighmond

Re: Period furnishing for our period homes

Post by Neighmond »

Is this the one with the threaded length of ready rod with a knurled nut and hook that takes up the slack?

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Neighmond, I have never seen one to compare. It has a 1/4 inch square hole for a threaded rod and may have had a knurled knob or a small wingnut. Either way, yes it holds the horn and wouLd allow for a bit of adjustment for needle weight. I could make one with no real fuss (I really don't know why I haven't yet)? Would you have an original?

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I will be in the shed in a few days and I can look-if I have I will measure it up for you.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A closer look at our Edison.
Another great find in the corner picture are the curtain pulls. I found them in Lock Haven Pennsylvania area. I found my self with a slack day on one of my working trips between job done and flight home. So off antique hunting I went.

They are solid brass with really thin translucent milk glass flowers he had five, I bought them all. He told me they came out of a prominant house in the area and were removed during a renovation a long time ago.

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

Great stuff! I love those tie backs, gothichome. I used to be an avid milk glass collector.

My home is atomic thrift store, with some late '90s bachelor and ongoing construction chic thrown in.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Superbeetle, thanks for the reply. A couple of the flowers if you hold to the light you can see streaks and variations of the white velspare (If I recall that's what makes it white) in the glass. When showing them to a glass guy he mentioned that that was quite common in early milk glass. Some times you just get lucky.
Now atomic thrift, I envision as nifty turned to treasures in a rather eclectic manner.
As one of the other posters is fond of saying "we live vicariously through others pictures" how about a pic for the definition of atomic thrift.

Ops I lied, it is Bone ash that makes it white. And the proper name is opal glass, I just read milk glass is a generic name for most of the white glass produced during the depression.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Here is another period find.

This is commonly called a Chatham cabinet. It was manufactured in Chatham Ontario, it would be period to the home but not sure of its real age. It would be equivelant to an American Hoosier but with out the tin slider. They were quite popular in southern Ontario and may very well have been exported to the US boarder states in the great lakes region. Any of my US friends seen one down there.

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Gothic, So many lovely things in your beautiful home. They just seem to belong there.

Susan.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thanks Chevygirl, we have a year limit on what we by for the old girl. 1910 is the latest we go when antique hunting. The closer to or before 1880 is much closer to our goal age. This range gives us the freedom to add things that may have been in the home during the first owners ownership. It also gives a bit of the lived in over time feel. And thirdly, It allows us to merge Gothic, Eastlake (my favorite style) and real early art and crafts and a general aethtectic movement feel to the home.
Saying all that we were at it again this weekend found this majolica jardinar at an antique show this weekend.

Its English and dates to 1901.

Ron

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Another find, this is our settee, period circa 1880. It has an Eastlake feel with out being overtly Eastlake.
Found it a another antique shop, it was in here own home.