Remember the Granville house?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Ireland House
Been here a while

Re: Remember the Granville house?

Post by Ireland House »

This is the exposed wall in the butler's pantry. We are having "aggressive negotiations" on whether the sink should be round or square. Input welcomed.

The second picture is the really cool office that was built for the original owner's doctors office.

The first pic is the fireplace that has also started many a conversation. I think we aught to keep it as it is original, but my husband doesn't think he can live with it for the 50 years we expect to live in this house.
Attachments
fireplace.jpg
fireplace.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
desk built-in.jpg
desk built-in.jpg (75 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
buttler's sink.jpg
buttler's sink.jpg (53.36 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
Today is my happily ever after.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gezzzzzz, what great detail. The fire place should stay exactly as it is. The butlers sink should be oval, a compromise between round and square. No one loses and no one wins, every one happy.

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

i'd let him have whatever sink he wants to keep the fireplace as is.
aaaaaand what a beautiful home! so glad you figured out the photo thing :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Gransville, your fire place got me thinking, I've seen some thing very similar before. The three ornaments set me off. Have a look at this
http://www.redbubble.com/people/magswil ... -fireplace

Now add embellishment like off this mantle.
http://www.westlandlondon.com/stock/ite ... image5.htm

It would seem you have a Charles McKintosh inspired fire place. Now I think that's some thing special. Just type Charles Renne McKentoch into google. You might just find other original designs in the home inspired by him.

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

I discovered a bit more about our house. It is actually the Ireland house. It was built for the richest man in our county at the time. That explains all the expensive details. It is still Granville to me, at least until we are done restoring, say maybe 30 years from now.

Since last I posted we have done lots more demo. All but one of the extra apartment walls have been removed. We finally decided the kitchen ceiling was not worth saving, too much missing and damaged. The big surprise once removing the plaster explained a bathroom problem upstairs. The drain line (not original) actually slopes uphill. While the plaster is down, we will run lots of new wiring and fix that plumbing. I hope to eventually put a claw foot back in that bath, so we will go ahead and put those lines in too. It would not be in the same place as the current shower. Then onto blue board and a skim coat. Not sure if we will do the plaster ourselves or have it done. Can't seem to find a plaster guy who wants to skim coat and not just tape and mud.

chadrjohnson (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by chadrjohnson (WavyGlass) »

Your house is amazing and looks like a fun project. I'm glad to see this grand house is once again in caring hands.

Don M

Post by Don M »

What a fine looking house! The fireplace is definitely different; would love to see many more pictures. Congratulations & keep posting.

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Your house is just wonderful! You have some very beautiful details left and the outside is spectacular! Please post more pics when you can.
Diane

Ireland House
Been here a while

Post by Ireland House »

We have moved to a new forum. The Historic District. Please look us up there as the Ireland House. Thank-you.
http://www.thehistoricdistrict.org/