My chimney and fireplace project

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: My chimney and fireplace project

Post by SkipW »

Brian, did you do this work yourself? If you did, you are either really good at stuff you try, or you are a mason. That is incredible work and that first fire must have been a real pleasure. I assume you enjoyed an adult beverage of choice as a celebration!
Etta says "WOOF"

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Nice work!

DRJR
Knows the area

Post by DRJR »

Very nice. :D
Home formally know as Rotten Ranch

Patched up fireplace, rotten and new siding, with other issues getting the arts and crafts makeover. :mrgreen:

brian89gp (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by brian89gp (WavyGlass) »

Got a quote, guy wanted $2k to set up scaffolding and $6k to do the chimney. I'm a cheap person so there was no way that was happening, and I had a wood stove sitting waiting.... $300 in masonry, $500 in tools, and 1 week later and I got a chimney.

Laying bricks takes a while but it is by no means something that is hard to do, I got the hang of it partway into the 2nd course.

For those mixing mortar and concrete the tool in the link below is a wonder tool. I was mixing 50lbs of concrete in right around 1 minute and mixing 30lb of mortar in about 2 minutes. The thing is absolutely amazing and with the mortar it aerates it very nicely so the mortar is very easy to use and compacts well.
http://www.contractorsdirect.com/?search=9630

hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by hoosier foursquare (WavyGlass) »

Awesome job! I wish that I had been as motivated as you to do the "up-high" work myself. I ended up having the chimney cap and the liner installed by the company that I bought everything from.

What kind of insert do you have?

brian89gp (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by brian89gp (WavyGlass) »

Buck 85. I wasn't looking for it in particular but this one happened to come up super cheap on Craigslist.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I'm so in awe. We have one of those "really high up there and in bad shape" chimneys. It was ok for the gas fireplace insert, very much like you have. But someday it will have to be done. Ugh.

Clapping, clapping. Job well done.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Oh, one more thing. We have been told 8k also.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare