Sort of new here, sort of back

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Sort of new here, sort of back

Post by KirstenN (WavyGlass) »

Hi folks!

After registering and having a brief flurry of activity on OHW (same username), my husband and I became foster parents, and all work on our two old houses pretty much stopped, other than routine maintenance.

However, we're coming to the end of that adventure. Part of the reason is that we've been in discussions with the owners of my husband's family's homestead, that has been in the family for almost 100 years. It looks like we are going to be moving in! Notice I don't say we're buying it...we're going to be renting two bedrooms of the five-bedroom house. The three siblings who currently own it (my husband's aunts and uncle) will continue to own it, but they are investing in finally restoring the house, and our rent will contribute to that.

This has potential to be either amazing or horrible, and possibly both depending on the day. :D

My first battle has been gently discouraging them from replacing the existing *45* (I counted) wooden double-hung windows. They're in wonderful shape, with all their storms intact. It's hard because I'm trying to influence from the sidelines without having any equity in, but that's the way it is right now.

The front of the house is still in my .sig below. I'll add a picture of the stained glass window on the stair landing, and the entry hall. We think the house was built about 1880, but I have yet to see any verification of that.

I will be asking for lots of advice for this house, as well as for getting my 1914 house ready to sell next spring! I need the original windows that still exist in my house to be in such top-notch condition that no buyer will consider replacing them.

Kirsten
Attachments
entry hall medium.jpg
entry hall medium.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 731 times
stained glass small.jpg
stained glass small.jpg (21.74 KiB) Viewed 731 times

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Re: Sort of new here, sort of back

KirstenN wrote:The front of the house is still in my .sig below.

Oops... forgot I have no .sig yet! I can't find a good picture of the facade, so here it is in street view. As you can see, it needs a lot of work.
Attachments
808 street view.jpg
808 street view.jpg (184.94 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Pretty house! Good for your standing up for the original windows.

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Post by SkipW »

Hi Kirsten,

Welcome back!
Etta says "WOOF"

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Welcome. It looks like a lovely foursquare. And are those lilacs out front?
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

KirstenN (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Thanks all!

Kansas, yes, they've lovely lilacs. They go all the way around the corner to the side, too, which is nice for blocking summer traffic noise.