1910 House

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
drew1910
Settling in

Re: 1910 House

Post by drew1910 »

We found some more things for the bathroom this weekend. The cabinet is really neat with the sliding shelves, we are not sure what it could have been originally made for. Her plans are to mount some baskets to the shelves so that she can pull them out part way. We also found some things we will use as decorations.

And a little mock up.

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

This weekend we picked these up for the shelf area above the toilet. We had planned on just having open shelves, but we are now are thinking about a couple open shelves along with these cabinet doors. They still have wavy glass also :D

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Looks great! I would say that the cabinet is a sheet music cabinet - a common bit of furniture from back when the evening's entertainment was sitting around the parlor piano. I would guess it dates 1900 - 1920.

Chris

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

Thanks! Music cabinet is what I have found from looking at others.

We have walked by an abandoned house that is two blocks from ours and have always wanted to see the inside of it. The other day my wife found an ad on a for sale or swap site that just so happened to be of that house. The owner had bought their house 5 years ago and this house was next door to it. They ended up buying it and now would like to salvage out what they can for people to use before they tear it down. They house is beyond repair and has went through many renters before being condemned. We were able to look at it at the same time as many others tonight and were the first ones to go in. Right away we noted that there wasn't anything on the first floor for us, but when we walked upstairs the first room we came to was the bathroom. Both the sink and toilet had been destroyed by vandels, but they cause and damage to the tub. HAHA. As we saw this my wife ran down the stairs and said we will take the tub. I was able to unhook the fittings without much effort and the woman got her husband to help me take it out down 3 stairs, around a 90* and down about 10 stairs before going around another 90* and through a doorway. He even came to my house and helped unload it. In the end I met a great guy and we realized that we both ride motorcycles and I now found a riding buddy.

So anyways after that long story here are the photos.

As you can see the photo is of what was the back of the tub. The outside of it needs cleaned and refinished, but the inside looks great. It is a Kohler 51. I can't wait to clean it up and get a better look at it. This tub will be going in our upstairs bathroom eventually.

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

We decided to tear the carpet off our stairs and refinish them, here is how it turned out. We are going to refinish the front of the bottom stair when we do the floors. We need to replace the trim piece that goes below the lip of the stair and it needs to be formed to the stair before I can attach it. I replaced two other pieces on the stairs before staining so I have the correct trim piece here.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Looks great!

Powermuffin

Post by Powermuffin »

Goodness, you two are super heros in my book! Your work is amazing. Love following your home work.
Diane

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

We've made some progress the last couple weeks. Summer seems like a bad time to get any work do with everything else going on. The main floor bath is now gutted including the 3 layers of linoleum and wood floors even tho these photos don't show that.

When we pulled up the linoleum in the bath we also did the basement entry and stairs

Upstairs plumbing

We then decided gut our upstairs bath as we need to redo everything up there before we can close the wall on the main floor bath.

Handy tool for taking out the cast, all cast was removed down to basement.

Mocking up where we wanted all of our lines.

We then ran all new PVC. We ran a 4" Main.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Wow...I'm impressed!!! I still have so much to do. I need a helper to give me a good kick in the backside. It's hard to get motivated when it's just me.... :(
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

Holy Cats and Kittens!

You sure have been industrious!