test,test. This is a test of the emergency home pic system

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Gothichome

Re: test,test. This is a test of the emergency home pic syst

Post by Gothichome »

Just another pic of last summers efforts

This is the north side of the home. One more window left to restore on this side.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well just another pic of the home taken just after purchase . This gives a sence of scale of the home.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Wow, that that's a big house.

Corsetière
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Corsetière »

I love gothic windows. Your home is really beautiful. :)

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Matt, yes it is. The door is about 10 feet tall and there's another foot and a half to the roof on the the inside. Same on the second floor. Corseteteire, thanks for the kind words. Those windows are about 8 feet tall and really narrow in proportion to their height. With them doubled up and a pair on each exterior wall they really take up the real estate on the interior walls.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

I would like to post some progress pics but unfortunately due to other commitments (i just hate it when earning a living gets in the way of living)I have absolutely no progress to report never mind have new pics. For those interested here are a few pics from earlier on.
A close up of our newel post taken during paint removal of the stair well panel.
And the worst wart in the home
This Is the back side of the front parlor chimney in the back parlor. a large piece of plaster has broke from the keys a long time ago and it has never been replaced. On the right side of the chimney behind the tacky discolourd wall paper is the ducting for the forced air heating to the two up stairs rooms on that side of the home.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

More progress, managed to get an extended long weekend. Finished up the last window on this side of the home and got the side door and it's screen restored.

The brick mold and door frame like the widows were originally this colour, but the main door was originally painted black. Found that a bit odd, it is now the same olive colour as the front door. The screen I believe is not period but older than 1964 when the last major paint was done. Any hints out there as to the age range of this style screen door?

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great house; lots of style. What's with the door knobs on the front doors though? They look rather odd.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Don, they are 1964 replacements as far as I can tell. If you look just a little lower you can see the plug they used to fill the original door knob. The original was probably brass and a lot smaller than what is installed now. May have even been Eastlake or oval knob. Eventually I'll get it replaced with an original style.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

GAAAH! gothic your house--especially doors and windows--are truly awesome...here i sit in a motel room with my laptop and HIGHSPEED INTERNET...yaay, i finally get to look at pictures...i would like nothing better than to go at your doors and windows with a minimum of tools, a good music and plenty of lemonade--i could work 12 hour days on a project like that and go home with a smile on my face...a really magnificent place you've got there...

thanks for posting so many pictures....

....jade

ps...we practiced 'duck and cover'--hiding under our desks at school to escape the atomic bomb--ha!