JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by Kansas.1911 »

I really liked your colors-- until I got to the green bathroom. Ah, the same color we got RID of here, in a bath was not in good shape. Your bath looks great, tho.

We had no windows or vents, so that was part of the problem.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Since my last update, I waxed the kitchen floor, and it looks a lot better. I think it could be even better yet, but I'll have to get some actual wax stripper, and floor polish. This time, I just used Mr. Clean all-purpose cleaner and Johnson's paste wax.

All other work that was actually done by me isn't really photo-worthy, yet.

But, big things have been happening at the house.

The porch floor has been put down.

And, the house has been painted. (just a warning, this is just a cheap paint job to appease the city, until I can afford a real paint job)

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Most ordinary folks consider yellow on yellow on yellow to be a real paint scheme. Hang in there. Around here, white on white on white is a preferred scheme. I like yours.

Do I see braces on the front porch? I hope porch pillars are next on the list.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks! I am happy that the gutters and downspouts don't stick out like sore thumbs anymore, and the neighbors are happy with the new color, so that's some consolation!

The new columns are pictured on page 2. But, my contractor/neighbor is worried that there might be structural damage from a roof leak in the porch roof valley, so we will need to address that before we put in the columns.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Last weekend, I finally managed to install the matching storm window on the front door.
I foolishly thought that the two openings were the same size. The window on the left fit right out of the box. But the window on the right didn't quite fit. So, I shaved a bit (<1/8") off of the frame.

Yesterday, I completed demolition in the upstairs bathroom, and began electrical rough-in.
I was going to try to patch what was left of the existing plaster. (the plumbers cut a nice, big, L-shaped hole in the wall to remove the old galvanized vent line from the sink. :x :roll: ) But I decided to take it all down, because there would be so little left, after making the additional holes for the electrical boxes.

JRC

Post by JRC »

My neighbor, Rob, continues to do more work on the porch. I think the roof needs to come up a little more, but at least the sag in the middle is gone.

I couldn't work on the house last weekend. But yesterday, after joining a little neighborhood cleanup group, I nearly finished the wiring for the new circuit in the bathroom. After that, I can start insulating, and hanging drywall.

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Keep up the great work, jrc! Even with the "cheap" paint job the house looks fine. I have a feeling that when the day comes to remove my vinyl siding, I'll have to spray the whole house before I can start restoring the original siding, just so it doesn't look completely terrible.

By the way, I was in Youngstown yesterday and I thought of you! My GPS took me through a really depressed area, it reminded me of Detroit, so sad.

JRC

Post by JRC »

nezwick wrote:Keep up the great work, jrc! Even with the "cheap" paint job the house looks fine. I have a feeling that when the day comes to remove my vinyl siding, I'll have to spray the whole house before I can start restoring the original siding, just so it doesn't look completely terrible.

By the way, I was in Youngstown yesterday and I thought of you! My GPS took me through a really depressed area, it reminded me of Detroit, so sad.

Thanks! The house is starting to get its dignity back.

Unfortunately, there are very few places in Youngstown that haven't been touched--at least a little--by neglect. But some of us are working hard to turn things around.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Last week, Rob got 2 of the porch columns set, and then started exploring the extent of the damage where the middle column will go.

As it turns out, instead of a heavy timber, the porch header is a box beam. So, Rob is going to build a new, "beefy" box beam inside the existing space, and tie it into the existing structure. Overall though, the structure was in much better shape than we thought it would be, considering what it looked like before we started.

I spent this last weekend taking down the chain link fence (and a maple tree that had grown through it) that blocked the painter from finishing the garage. Thankfully, the weather was beautiful. So I was happy to be able to work outside.

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Your place is looking great!! I've been following your Nightmare since the OHW days. It's been a pleasure watching the amazing transformation.

Just been sitting back, enjoying the show...and getting inspired! :D

**on a side note...for some reason I always thought you lived in Canada! :roll:
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow