JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by JRC »

Hello! This is my first post here! I'm also from Old House Web, and thought I'd continue my story here. (I'll probably double post most things, as I'd like to have a single thread as a record.)

If you haven't seen my house before, here is the whole thread: http://www.oldhouseweb.com/forums/viewt ... =5&t=27270

Here is my latest post:
--------------
I started cleaning the kitchen last weekend. But that job quickly evolved into stripping the layers of contact paper off of the original counter tops. (I think it's linoleum)

Just getting started:

All of the contact paper is gone:

The other counter top, on the opposite corner of the kitchen near the stove, isn't coming out so well. The counter surface is in really bad shape. (although the back splash is OK) So, for now, I think I'm going to pull up the damaged linoleum, (or at least try) and replace with some matching peel and stick tiles.

This was an exciting find for me, because I had assumed the original surface was a similar "Wedgwood blue" tile, or something. And, I was disgusted by the top layer of contact paper, and am glad that there is something mostly useful underneath.

Neighmond

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by Neighmond »

It'll be pretty when done.....best thing about linoleum counters is you can throw the linoleum out in a trash bag when it's shot and recover it for not too much dough. Laminate counters go to hell they have to be disposed of and new ones cost a pretty penny.

SkipW

Post by SkipW »

Instead of tiles you may also want to try the local flooring store or even the big box stores for a remnant. They often have pieces left over that are not big enough to do a room and will let them go very cheap.

We had a friend who redid his cottage kitchen counters with a remnant that cost him $3.00. He did two 2'x3' sections and backsplash, and he still has enough left over to do it again if need be.

His counters had metal trim which he removed due to condition and replaced with oak. It turned out quite nice.
Etta says "WOOF"

JRC

Post by JRC »

It's been a long time since I posted anything. I haven't been doing anything photo-worthy.

But last week, I painted the kitchen, and put the temporary surface on the damaged counter top.

New--temporary--counter top: (it was just easier to pick up a pack of peel and stick tiles at the big box)

I still want to paint the cabinets, too.

But next week, I plan to paint the foyer, stairwell, and upstairs hall.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JRC, looking good. That's a great sink my wife would love to have one one just like it. As far as the Lino you can still get good old fashioned style battle ship Lino. Just type a google search for "battle ship linoleum" might just be the answer to keeping it period.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks for the reply Gothichome! I probably won't be keeping these cabinets for the long run. The kitchen was redone in the early 50s, and the cabinets are falling apart. I hope to keep the floor, (I'll talk about that more later) and the sink. But, eventually, I want to redo the rest of the kitchen. When done, I'd like it to look like a large butler's pantry.

I've been doing more painting over the last few weekends.

^I still have to paint the ceiling in here.

Yesterday, I got done with the painting a little early, but not early enough to take on the next painting project, before I had to leave. So, I worked on cleaning the kitchen floor. It still doesn't look that great, so I'm hoping there is a better way to clean it. (I've just been using Mr.Clean)

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

i love your progress posts. keep up the good work!

nezwick
Knows the area

Post by nezwick »

Looking great, JRC!

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks christiner and Alan!

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

That house is real pretty! I can see why you like it.