JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by JRC »

Some areas of the first floor are now presentable, after the move-in. So here are some pics:

The view from my home-office chair:

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JR, great to see the progress and that the home is wonder again lived in. The old house gods will be smiling in your direction.

JRC

Post by JRC »

I don't expect that this will happen often, but I made more progress since my last post. (if I do continue to be super productive, now that I live here, I promise to consolidate posts better :) )

On Saturday, I finished the last bit of sanding in the back parlor. After cleanup, I will be ready for paint.

But today, instead of working on that, I took advantage of a pretty nice fall day, and finally pruned up the big blue spruce in the front yard:
The yard feels so much bigger and brighter!

After all that work, my neighbors convinced me to try again to donate it to the city for its Christmas tree. Whether they take it, or not, I'll still be happy.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

Man, that's really starting to shape up. How many years have you had possession of it now? It's nice to see all that hard work that you have put in finally start paying off. I bet your neighbors are thrilled. So, how do you like the new hood now that you are living there?

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks! I've had the house for about 2.5 years, now. And yes, things are finally starting to come together, although there is still a lot of work ahead.

Overall, I like living here, so far. In the morning, I catch the bus almost right outside my door. In the evening, I take a different bus home from work, and walk through the park, on the way. Last Saturday, I walked to my first event and Stambaugh Auditorium. They were showing the original Phantom of the Opera, accompanied by the newly restored Skinner pipe organ. (I saw, on Facebook, that the Palace Theater in Canton was doing something similar) While painting the porch columns the last 2 nights, it was fun to listen to the college kids playing coed football in the park. But, on the flipside, I'm also annoyed that the lawn chair I put out on the porch walked away. :x That's the price of living in a transitional neighborhood, I guess.

dav (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by dav (WavyGlass) »

Those pillars look familiar, using a nice structural fiberglass???

http://elbafarmhouse.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -more.html

We have wood ones in the front that have rotted over time, I'm looking forward to not having to remake any more bases with the new fiberglass pillars.

JRC

Post by JRC »

dav wrote:Those pillars look familiar, using a nice structural fiberglass???

http://elbafarmhouse.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -more.html

We have wood ones in the front that have rotted over time, I'm looking forward to not having to remake any more bases with the new fiberglass pillars.

Ha, yes those look familiar! And I thought replacing 3 was a pain the butt!

I'm not that happy with the build quality of mine, though. I bought mine a few months before I needed them, because the company was having a special, and I got a good price. Unfortunately for me, I didn't inspect them right away, so I couldn't return them after I discovered the damage. But, they're structurally sound, and now that they're in place, you can't see the damage. So everything worked out in the end.

JRC

Post by JRC »

I finally painted the back parlor. I still have to fix and reinstall the woodwork in the corner that was rebuilt, though.

Downstairs, the only room left to finish, is the dining room. Currently, it is stuffed with: tools, paint cans, and the junk the previous owner still claims he wants. :roll:

Sooth (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Post by Sooth (WavyGlass) »

Niiiice.

mkeller234
Been here a while

Post by mkeller234 »

Looks great. The previous owner kind of sounds like a hoarder. I'm surprised you still have that stuff. Has he seen the work that you have done?