JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by Nicholas »

My guy in Tampa.

I know its far from you but here are some doors to look at:

http://schillersalvage.com/#/doors/4567902237
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I got the screen door painted and installed.

It's one of the not-quite-cheapest wood doors you get at Lowe's. Should I buy some angle brackets to reinforce the corners now, wait until the door starts to sag, or is the door even worth the trouble? :)

Tonight, I started stripping the living-room window casing, so that it will match the front door casing.

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

Buy them now and put them on the inside then paint to match. The porch is looking real good.

Don M

Post by Don M »

It looks very good! :)

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks for the kind words!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JRC, yes, that porch is looking great. Your might be upstaging your neighbours now.

JRC

Post by JRC »

I got the casing around the front window stripped and painted.
I think I'm done with exterior painting for the summer. If I do anything else, I'll have to paint the whole front porch to make it look right. I have had a neighbor ask why I don't paint the whole front porch. My reasons are: 1. I've never used an extension ladder, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using one. 2. Since it's already August, I'm not sure I'd have enough time to strip everything that needs stripped, and get everything painted before fall/winter. So, we'll see, I guess.

My next project, started on a whim, is to put new drawer and cabinet pulls on the kitchen cabinets. Because the old hardware was painted on, I had to spend the last week removing the old hardware and prepping the surface for new paint. Hopefully, I can get the painting done tonight, and install the new hardware tomorrow.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

JRC, getting that window painted up sure completes the look of the porch. The neighbours must stop and look when they walk by.

JRC

Post by JRC »

Gothichome wrote:JRC, getting that window painted up sure completes the look of the porch. The neighbours must stop and look when they walk by.

I know this has happened at least once. I walked over to close my front door for the night, and was startled by a lady standing in my driveway. She saw that she startled me, and apologized, and said she just wanted a closer look at my new screen door while she was out walking her dog.

JRC

Post by JRC »

I installed new cabinet hardware last week.

The old hardware was painted over many times. So, removing it, and preparing the surface for the new hardware, was the hardest part. Don't worry, though! I saved the original 50s pulls, so I could restore the kitchen's authenticity, if I want to.