JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: JRC's Nightmare on Elm Street - Continued

Post by Nicholas »

Hey Jrc, thanks for the insight, I guess the price we paid helps. We are done with the house and I am very happy with how it turned out, just below budget.

Thats a very nice street, more artsy pics please :)
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

I got more work done than just stripping the doorbell plate. I also stripped and painted the casing around the door and sidelights. As a bonus, the weather--on Saturday, at least--was beautiful. But, even if the weather wasn't that great, I'd probably be out there, because I lost my pet cat--who was my little buddy for the last 14 years--last week, and the house seems too empty without her. :(

Here is Saturday's progress:

And, while I finished painting Sunday, I didn't put the numbers back on until after work, tonight.

I will also paint the casing around the front window, but I'll have to stop there. I'd really like to keep going, because the off-white trim really calms down the yellow. But I'll quickly run out of places where I can safely reach, and then the house will look half-done.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Poor kitty! Sorry to hear that!

Don M

Post by Don M »

Your work looks wonderful; I agree the white really makes the doorway stand out. I'm sorry about your little buddy; there are many cute felines who are looking for their forever home. :D

JRC

Post by JRC »

Thanks! I'll probably get another cat, some day. But I couldn't ever replace the little Kiddo, and getting another cat so soon, would feel like I was trying to replace her.

Back on topic, I have a cheapo wood screen door that I hope to be painting and installing, soon.

Don M

Post by Don M »

jrc wrote:Thanks! I'll probably get another cat, some day. But I couldn't ever replace the little Kiddo, and getting another cat so soon, would feel like I was trying to replace her.

Back on topic, I have a cheapo wood screen door that I hope to be painting and installing, soon.

I agree there is no way to replace your little buddy & time is often necessary before finding a new buddy.

I forget; was your current front door in place when you purchased your home? Any idea what the original door was like?

JRC

Post by JRC »

Don M wrote:I forget; was your current front door in place when you purchased your home? Any idea what the original door was like?

That ugly door was there when I bought the place. I was told that the original door was similar to the neighbors' door. It's an oak door with a 3/4 beveled glass lite.

Don M

Post by Don M »

That's exactly what I was guessing was there originally. Do you have any local house parts stores?

JRC

Post by JRC »

Don M wrote:That's exactly what I was guessing was there originally. Do you have any local house parts stores?

I have a neighbor who sells antique house parts (mostly stained glass, hardware, antique light fixtures, and a lot of other misc. stuff he finds) and we have a HfH ReStore. But, the ReStore mostly sells donated furniture, and 70s/80s/90s garbage that's being replaced with modern garbage.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Maybe ask your neighbor to keep an eye out for a nice used door to fit your house, I imagine they go begging periodically. The Black Dog Salvage in Virginia probably has some available but shipping would likely be expensive.