Wackyshack: formally Civil War Seamstress...

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Wackyshack: formally Civil War Seamstress...

Post by Wackyshack »

After 39 years in a slab foundation ranch, when the housing market changed in 2006 we plunged headfirst into this 1880's Folk Victorian. Now over 6 years into restoration and home ownership, my story is now told through more mature house owning eyes. :shock: :? :roll:

We were excited. I have loved old houses since I was 9. The house had problems hidden within the walls that took a lot of the initial excitement and money from us we never anticipated. It appeared to be better maintained, but even with a house inspection, there were hidden gems of horror we were yet to find.

Overall to do it all over again we would still be here and going along at the same pace. After the first year we really didn't get any new surprises to add to the repair list. We are still faced with 3 things left to do, all to do with the structural components. It is stable, but we need to think of the long term.

The house has been prettied up from the time we bought it. We still have 4-6 years to go before we might be on a maintenance routine. It also fits in with my living history lifestyle. I am growing food in high raised beds and managing to eat better for 5-8 months a year.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Neighmond

Re: Wackyshack: formally Civil War Seamstress...

Post by Neighmond »

Alooha! That's a pretty house, now that you all undid the drunken weasel business!

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Neighmond...I still have plenty of sobering up of that house to go! But I am wayyy past the 50% mark of what I wanted to do with it when I was dreaming of what it could look like. For the rest of the street, our house is over the top.

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

The photos marking the progress are at this link: The front room got an uplift and now the hall is looking like it needs a major kick in the seat....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u86/Wackyshack/

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome whackyseamstress!!
it's going to take some time to put together new identities with the old identities we have become so familiar with...
glad you are here...
...jade (now heartwood)

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Jade!!!! Glad you put your old tag up too!!! :)

I should have figured it was you who are the admin over here!!! (wavy glass your first true love).

Oh I wasn't going to let you guys leave me behind. I usually can't do more than give a lot of congrads and such to others and admire all the skilled talented people, but if the OHW sinks, I don't want to go down with the ship!

I decided to adopt the name of the house instead of my crazy occupation. Even if it is finished one day, perfect and poised, this house will always remain the wildy and crazy Wackyshack!!!

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

I'll try to remember your new name. I'm doomed. :)
Warren

Wackyshack

Post by Wackyshack »

Wletson, remember I just took the name of my house as my ID.... Wackyshack.... but I still answer to
Civil War Seamstress (CWS) so no worries.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

Hi Wacky,
I can keep people straight if the signature line has the house in it. But some folks are updating their house photo and it's taking me aback. I'll have to come here often and keep up, I guess.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by oldhouseluvr (WavyGlass) »

Hi, CWS! Hope its ok if I still call you that . :D Your house has definitely benefited from your ownership. Ours, too, looked good on the surface. It was only when we looked a little closer at some of the plumbing and electrical issues that we realized "all that glimmers is not gold". I also didn't realize you were an oldhouseluvr from childhood. I fell in love with my first old house when I was 10. Little did I know then, or even when I bought this house, that history would become such an important part of my life. And thanks again to you for helping me look the part!