Saving a floor

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Saving a floor

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Almost ten years ago I happened to spy a dumpster with wood flooring inside. A closer look revealed something virtually unknown around here, oak t&g floors roughly 3" wide and up to 8' long. So I begged my dad to get the car and help me dig through the flooring. We managed to grab pretty much everything that was there and stored it in our back yard.

What I knew right from the beginning:
- someone had put down thin particle board and two layers of PVC down on top of the old floor using lots of screws
- the floor boards we had came from at least 2 different rooms
- the workers who ripped the floor out were quite brutal
- some of the wood was in rather rough shape, the soft parts of the wood grain worn away

A few years later I wanted to use the flooring in our hallway, so I took a few boardds, put them together, sanded and oiled them. The result was rather nice, but in the end we re-installed the original hallway floor rather than changing the design radically.

Last year I wanted to use the floor in our farmhouse renovation.

First we had to clean it up. There were old nails in the grooves, the screws from the pressboard and lots of dirt. Apparently when installed the floors had HUGE gaps were dirt collected and solidified over the years. I had to scrape all that gunk off the tongues and out of the grooves. During cleanup and sorting I realised a few more things.

- there were 4 different kinds of boards, 3 and 3 1/2" wide and slightly worn / extremely worn
- we had much fewer boards than I'd originally anticipated
- some boards were unusable, either worn down almost all the way to the tongues and grooves or rotted

Here you can see some of the screws and how badly worn some of the boards were

We still tried to install the floor, but gave up after a few courses because we got too far away from straight and the hard wood was a bear to nail. Instead, we put down new larch planks. The next time we saw the new floor it had expanded a LOT and buckled, so we had to take it out again. Instead of re-installing the new floor, I decided to give the old oak one last chance, using screws rather than nails this time. Slowly but surely it worked.

Some boards were cracked and I needed to devise creative ways of fixing them. Repairing a split mid-length above the groove:

FInished floor, before sanding:

After sanding the living daylight out of the floor (the height differences were incredible, and some boards were deeply worn and stained, so we needed to remove a lot of wood):

Freshly oiled:

You can see that even after really aggressive sanding those boards have loads of character!

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Saving a floor

Post by SkipW »

What a lot of work but what a sweet payoff in the end! That floor looks fantastic!
Etta says "WOOF"

Texas_Ranger
Knows where blueprints are hidden

Post by Texas_Ranger »

Yeah, I love the result! Some of the boards have really wild grain, there's one spot that looks like a dog's face! It would have been a shame not to use the wood for a finished floor!

We ended up getting only a third of what I'd calculated/guessed back when we found the wood, around 60 sq. ft. instead of 180. At the end we nearly ran out of decent wood and had to use some slightly questionable boards where we had to sand away a lot of wood and still didn't quite get through the layer of grime and water damage in some spots. I suspect that the deeply greyed boards once were a kitchen floor that was washed with plenty of water every week for several decades. It definitely doesn't look like water damage from a pipe or roof leak but rather frequent contact with water combined with vigorous scrubbing, perhaps even using sand (according to the biography of a Viennese journalist born in 1920, sweeping sand across the floor was the cleaning method of choice before WWII and the advent of modern cleaners and it almost ruined her mother's oak parquet floors, as the mother was an obsessive cleaner and did that every week).

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

Very nice! Nothing beats a floor with a story.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

Beautiful - great job!
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Post by Chevygirlalways »

That looks great, lot of work but wonderful results.

Susan