Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Chevygirlalways
Been here a while

Re: Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Post by Chevygirlalways »

Welcome, What a beautiful house! The staircase is stunning.
Thanks for sharing :)

Susan

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Redbrandon.... glad you shared photos... LOVE the hall.... mine is so...tiny... the staircase is wonderful. What a great house!!!
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by redbrandon03 (WavyGlass) »

Thanks for the kind words, we've got big plans for the house. When spring gets here all that old green carpet will be gone and we will work on refinishing the hardwoods, in the meantime ive got alot of interior painting to do!

Brandon M.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

The trick there is to paint the month before the carpet goes bye-bye; then you can use the old carpet as a drop-cloth.

BYW, old carpet, torn in about two foot strips, makes a very good walk way for gardens. Then you don't get all muddy harvesting or cultivating after wet days and weeds won't grow in the aisles.

FWIW

Chaz

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

Neighmond wrote:BYW, old carpet, torn in about two foot strips, makes a very good walk way for gardens. Then you don't get all muddy harvesting or cultivating after wet days and weeds won't grow in the aisles.
Chaz

It took me a couple of months to realise that the 'concrete' footings around our porch were actually carpet.

I helps that it's a light green/grey but NOTHING! grows through that carpet. A totally valuable tip!

Alyson
Settling in

Post by Alyson »

BTW - we have used old, soggy roof shingles covered with mulch to defeat the Japanese Knotweed in our yard.

Last year we used newspaper under mulch.

We appear to be winning the fight - I hate knotweed more than anything else, the damned plant is so tenacious.

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Working on the painting now so in about April the carpet can go away. Great ideas for using the old carpet, I will definently save some for just that purpose!

Thanks!

Brandon M

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Been working my way through the house painting, and just couldnt resist the urge to pull some carpet any longer. The dining room was painted and the window treatments had been redone (got rid of the horrid blue drapes), so it was time to pull some carpet. The flooring was in great shape but before the carpet was laid in 1983 (I know this because our house was a designer showcase home that year) they went through and painted and were not careful about it. There were paint footprints and globs of paint everywhere, they also sprayed the radiators in place so there was alot of overspray on the floor. I didnt want to do a full sanding and loose the character that the floor had so I just did a light sanding, applied a coat of Walnut stain, and three coats of poly. We are very happy with the result, its a totally different room! We will probably wait a couple months to do the rest until we have the whole main floor painted but at least we know what he are in for.

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Beautiful!!!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

I keep expecting to see Hugh Beaumont, Tony Dow, Barbara Billingsly, and Jerry Mathers all come walking in.