Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Post by redbrandon03 (WavyGlass) »

Hello everyone,

My wife Liz and I bought our 1917 Saltbox late this summer. It had been our dream for sometime to own a home in our local Historic Village, we looked at a few before this one (that we had admired for a long time) came on the market. We didnt waste any time, we bought it the day it went on the market and were the only ones who got a chance to even see it! Prices in West Michigan right now are fantastic so eventhough are having to take a bit of a hit on our 1930's bungalow we got a great deal on our new home. This house is situated in the middle of the Muskegon MI historic district with great views of beautiful old homes from every room. It was built in 1917 by one of the founders of the Shaw Walker furniture company who had relocated from the east coast (thus the New England style). The house is in fantastic condition, and is nearly original. The bathrooms all contain the original fixtures, as does most of the house. The kitchen was redone in the early 80's and will be on our list along with updating the landscaping, but all in all this house needs very little, and so far we are just loving it! Excited to find this group and learn about all of you treasures!

Brandon Morrison

Last edited by redbrandon03 (WavyGlass) on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

shazapple
Stalwart

Re: Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Post by shazapple »

Welcome! The pictures look great; lots of light. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your front door? I'm on a quest for a door style for our addition project :)
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

Looks great! Nice to see another West Michigander on the forum. My father-in-law grew up in Muskegon.

I've seen a couple of other West Michiganders over on the OHW forum (one in Muskegon, one in Grand Rapids [Heritage Hill]), but I don't think they've made their way here.

We're in a similar boat regarding house values: we're like to be selling our old house for about 30% less than we paid for it, but we figure that the lower cost of the new house more than makes up for the difference, since the new house is worth over twice as much.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

I will work on getting a front door shot for you Lee, and yes Chris, it sounds like we are in the same boat for sure, but so worth it! Im not familiar with the other forum, I'll have to check it out too. Im sure more West Michiganders will find their way here eventually, we have some wonderful homes in the are, thanks for putting this together!

Brandon & Liz Morrison

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

More pictures!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

welcome brandon and liz...
we are a new forum but our membership is growing and our knowledge & kinship is legendary!

argh, is it because i still have dial-up in my rural neck of the woods that i cannot open photos? some work, some don't...i cannot see either of the photos brandon posted...

...jade

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

This is the front door decorated for Christmas, here you go Lee :D

Brandon M

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Here are a few more pics of the inside of the house, we havent done anything to it yet so this is just how we bought it (besides a good cleaning). Im going to try and figure out how to just put a link to the photobucket album so we"ll see??

Brandon M

Brandon M

http://s1121.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... %20Saltbox

cadrad
Knows the back streets

Post by cadrad »

we are close neighbors! :D you are only like 4-5 blocks from me! I am right by the hospital on Peck. My house was built in 1916. How exciting!

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

which house are you, we looked at one on Peck that was just beautiful shortly before we bought this one? there are some great houses down there!

Brandon M