Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Re: Our 1917 New England Saltbox

Post by redbrandon03 (WavyGlass) »

This weeks project has been my wifes upstairs bath, the previous owner had covered everything (walls and ceiling) with that textured wallpaper that is supposed to look like old tin. I have no problem with that stuff in moderation, but this was everywhere and put up poorly. I bought myself a Wagner wallpaper steamer (which worked great) and started steaming, 8 hours and three layers later the walls and ceiling were clean. The second day was all painting, and then just finished up the ceiling yesterday. Actually put the same type of paper back on the ceiling and did a faux finish on it. Rust Oleum paint followed by stain (wiped off immediately). Overall pretty happy with the result, only wishing we had chosen something lighter for the ceiling. This bathroom retains its original tile floor, and all original fixtures!

cat2014
Knows the area

Post by cat2014 »

Beautiful! Job well done!
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......John Lennon

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

I havent posted on here in awhile because like everyone else we have been crazy busy working on the house! Getting ready to head out on vacation now for a little R&R after all our hard work but first, here's what we've been up to!

About a month ago we made the decision to remove two Maples from the front corners of the house. Not only did they distract from the lines of the house, but they had been planted much to close and were full of ants. I did the work myself, it took me a few days

Once we cleaned up the carnage in the front of the house we proceeded to rip out carpet throughout much of the house. The carpet had been put in in 1983 so it was time to go. We were happy to find that the floors were in pretty good shape, and the sanding began. We didnt want to over sand the floor and have it loose its character, we are quite happy with the result. Now its time to take a breather and then tackle the backyard!

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

Wow, you must be just thrilled with how things are coming along! What did you use for a finish on your floors? They look great - "some day" I hope to pull up the vinyl and underlayment to reveal our hardwood kitchen floor... Thanks for the motivation, and keep up the good work!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

redbrandon03 (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

We had two rooms that had at one time had Linoleum or something because there was paper backing and glue under the carpet. We used hot wet towels and let them lay on the floor for a few minutes then we were able to scrape up the glue and sand. We used Minwax Hickory stain and Minwax Polyurethane for floors (3 coats)

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

Beautiful house! I love the stairway and the floor looks great with the finish work you have done.

Don M

Post by Don M »

Great work; very nice home. Any new updates?

Powermuffin
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Powermuffin »

Wow, you gotta love the proportions in old houses! Love the windows and the floor looks wonderful. More pics please.
Diane