Addition

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
shazapple
Stalwart

Re: Addition

Post by shazapple »

The plan for the bathroom was to have a heated tile floor. I had good luck with the Ditra we used in the rest of the house, so we went with Ditra Heat for the bathroom floor. I'm very pleased with how easy it was to install, and it seems to be less expensive than other types of heated flooring. The heating cable was easy to lay down as it just snapped into the grooves and it could be configured however we wanted.
IMG_20150117_173825 (Small).jpg
IMG_20150117_173825 (Small).jpg (53.57 KiB) Viewed 3050 times

We went with a standard 12x12 tile for the floor that was similar to the tile we have in the kitchen. Not very old-housey but it's neutral enough to work with any wall colour, plus we like it! For the shower we used Kerdi membrane to waterproof the walls and will cover it with white subway tile. The kerdi shower system is a bit nerve wracking to install but it seems to have worked out well. We'll also have subway tile wainscotting on the rest of the walls (slightly higher than the sink). Right now the bathroom is on hold while we wait for cabinets to be built and the subway tile accessories to arrive (baseboard and bullnose tile, which is surprisingly hard to find).
IMG_2665 (Small).JPG
IMG_2665 (Small).JPG (38.05 KiB) Viewed 3050 times

Finally we are also working on trim. We have a couple doors installed (as you can see in the closet picture) and will be installing the trim once floors are finished. For now we are working on window trim, and someday we may even have baseboards!
IMG_2624 (Small).JPG
IMG_2624 (Small).JPG (38.95 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

nlswitz
Been here a while

Post by nlswitz »

Very nice.

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

So cool! So warm! I love seeing other people taking to Schluter system.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

matchbookhouse
Been here a while

Post by matchbookhouse »

One of my criteria for picking a contractor for the upcoming bathroom remodel was that they use the Schluter system. That factor narrowed the field down really quickly - pretty much only one contractor in the area had even heard of it!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Shazzapple, it's coming along nicely. The heated floor does it need it's own 20amp service?

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

The instructions are very vague on wiring, but it's only a 240V/405W system so my electrician says a dedicated 15A breaker will do. The Schluter systems are pricey, but it worked great when we used it in our kitchen a couple years ago.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Shazzaple, thanks for that bit of info. The summer kitchen I just rebuilt is realy cold in this cold snap do to it being on the end of the furnace run. I think it just might be a long term solution.

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

The wattage depends on the area it is covering as well. It is not supposed to go under cabinets or near other heat sources so it had less than 36sqft to cover. It comes in pre-determined lengths, so we bought the 32sqft variety and went with the 240V version as we were told it provided a quicker heat.

Can you access the ductwork for your kitchen? 5" is the smallest you'd want, and 6" would be better. Swapping out the ductwork would definitely be cheaper than Ditra Heat!
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Lee, yes I can get to the ducting no problem at all. And it is 5". It was always cool back there but with the -20C stuff it is down right cold. The short term solution at this moment is a space heater. Was thinking of going with one of those booster fans that connect in series with the ducting and connecting the signal/power into the new furnace. A bit Leary of that solution though, first off in my mind it would draw flow from the other runs and the whole home would be cold(accept the summer kitchen). Second thought, not sure the furnace electronics would be able to power an auxiliary fan motor. And to be honest I never thought of a 6"upgrade. That would be far to simple a solution for me to comprehend.

Ober51
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Ober51 »

Just read the whole thread, fantastic work. looks great!