My 1874 Folk Victorian (Finally...an update!)

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Sooth (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Re: Our 1874 Folk Victorian

Post by Sooth (WavyGlass) »

I ***** love your house, so I want to be sure to follow your thread.

:D

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Thanks! Unfortunately due to a heavy work load the house has no new stuff happening...just an empty, gutted-to-the-studs upstairs hallway and staircase waiting to go back together. Hopefully next week i can do a couple things...
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

1904Richardsonian (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by 1904Richardsonian (WavyGlass) »

That bathroom is SO gorgeous!

drew1910
Settling in

Post by drew1910 »

Wow great progress! I really like the bathroom. What toilet did you go with? I've been looking around at high tanks trying to decide on one. Any pictures of the stairway progress?

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Drew,
The toilet is a Mac Tap (Mac the Antique Plumber). you can find them online. They are NOT cheap...three years ago that toilet was something around $1100 and i think they are more now. However, i have been very happy with the appearance and performance. The gravity flush means that at only 1.6 gal, it always does the job!

No pictures of the stairway progress just yet, mostly because little has been made. I have been busy restoring windows for a client (and that is only my part time job, so with another full time job...little time for the house :(
I DID sand out the floor in the hallway and began sheetrocking the staircase, hallway, and ceiling this week however. I'll try to get some before and current pics of the job up soon! Thanks for your interest.
-Eric
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Eperot
Stalwart

Post by Eperot »

Well....it's been a long time coming. Life happens and last year my marriage dissolved like a cube of sugar in a hot cup of tea, so everything house-wise came to a grinding halt. I did, in fact, very nearly lose the house and all the work I've done because of it, but fortunately my new mortgage went through last April and I've been here ever since. Just me, two greyhounds, and one very old house.

After a long 2014 spent first sifting through the ashes of my failed union and saving my house I needed money quick...so I buried myself in restoring windows for a customer and didn't finish until October. I took November and December to take stock of all that had passed in the course of that last year, along with some much needed relaxation, and watched the sun set on the last day of a year with a horrific winter start, a troubled spring, a work filled summer and fall, and finally a time to pause and reflect...

Beginning in January I continued work finally and with glee on rebuilding the ripped apart upstairs hallway and the central staircase and entryway. Things have been progressing nicely ever since and the hall is finished but for the handrail/balustrade/newels and the final tung oil floor finish. The entryway is coming along and the bottom 3 stairs I built from scratch in order that they might better match what was originally there. What pictures follow are from 2012-2013 and reflect the state things looked like up until recently (!)

I am on track to have the hallway/staircase/entryway done by the first of May. I'll save finished pictures until then, so you'll just have to wait...just hopefully not years this time!

In addition, this past summer I did stumble upon 104 feet worth of cast iron fence panels...oddly, exactly the amount needed to enclose my front yard eventually. I snapped it up and it lies in wait for when I get to that point. Oh, how I look forward to seeing this stuff standing proud against irises, hollyhocks, hydrangeas and boxwoods...

It's nice to be back....enjoy and keep an eye out for updates.
Jacob Beaty House, 1874.

Neighmond

Re: My 1874 Folk Victorian (Finally...an update!)

Post by Neighmond »

Nice to hear you are all right! I always did like that house.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh ep, how nice to read over your original post and review all your work with such lovely results...I can only imagine the difficult time you've had in coming to terms with the end of your relationship...having your house to focus on and your newly found income RESTORING WINDOWS are positive places to put your energy--and you seem to have plenty of that...that fencing is absolutely gorgeous! do you plan to install it as is or paint it?

look forward to following your progress...
very best to you...
...jade

Don M

Post by Don M »

Glad you are back & also sorry about the life changes. That's an amazing fence find; do keep us posted on your continuing progress.

shazapple
Stalwart

Post by shazapple »

Glad to hear you and the hounds are back on track! Look forward to seeing you around more.
Lee
1900 1.5 Story Cottage