Another OHW Transplant and a New-Old House (1851)

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Re: Another OHW Transplant and a New-Old House (1851)

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Superbeetle wrote:You pulled down an entire room of wallpaper in an evening? Because I will be green with envy if that is the case!

Yes! I bought a wallpaper steamer from Lowe's (~$55.00) and was able to get it all down in about 4-5 hours. I didn't believe the steamer was going to work as well as the clerk said it would, but it did. :shock: It's the best money I've spent.

Here's the one I bought:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_40627-97-028201 ... facetInfo=

The top layer of paper, with the print on it, peeled off in sheets fairly easily without having to apply any product or steaming; the bottom layer that the glue was on came off very easily with minimal effort after being steamed.

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

While I'm on the warpath in the ex-wallpaper room, I went ahead and tore most of that replacement floor up.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well isn't that an interesting mystery. Looks like you had dark brown floors originally, then repainted around the sides the reddish colour maybe around a linolium carpet. The stained strips might be salvage from another part of the home to replace boards damaged while installing knob and tube. The other rectangular shaped patches might be from filling in circulating heater grates. The black ghosting looks like there was another thin wall assembly at that end of the room, maybe a butlers pantry or some sort of built in. What is your feeling for the floor history Farmhouse?

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Hi, Gothichome. I'm not sure what to make of it. The unstained area is about 12'x12'. This particular room and the room behind it (now, the kitchen) was the first addition to the original house. The wall that the two [mismatched] doorways are on might not have always been where it currently is. It's such an early addition, I doubt the kitchen as it is today is anywhere near what it was then -- if it even had one when the addition was completed. There's a chimney on the outer wall that has no corresponding mantle on the interior anymore; it's just an empty hallway that now leads to the downstairs bathroom. (In fact, I have no fireplaces anymore.) All that said, the black outline on the unstained area could have been anything. I know so little about the house as it was in those early days when the additions and changes were taking place; I've only been able to speculate based upon what I've observed in the actual construction of the additions. The wood floor I uncovered in that room appears to run under the hallway, kitchen, and downstairs bathroom, so I'm at least confident this was all constructed during the same time frame. You can also see the 'seams' in the brick on the exterior where the additions begin and end. The downstairs bedroom, which is behind the kitchen, was yet another addition.

I do like the reddish color on the small area that's actually painted.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well there are smarter and more experienced people here that might have a better understanding but to my eye, looking at the black staining (in your new pictures), I wounder if that is the seam were several peices of a linolium carpet were glued together forming a much larger carpet? It's my understanding that it was not uncommon to build the middle section of a floor of cheaper wood and leave it unfinished knowing that there would always be a carpet or some other form of floor covering placed there. A bit of Yanky thrift. I found by looking carefully at the ends of my floor boards for tiny finishing nails I could follow my knob and tube runs. That proved handy when I updated the wiring in the old girl. You just might find that as well. Do you know if you still have live knob and tube? If so my observation might save you a would of grief if you chose to replace.
On the same theme those square patches combined with you discriptions might just be the lift fixtures for the lower level.

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

I've never actually seen a linoleum rug, but after looking at some images on Google, I can see where that very well may have been the case in this particular room. I was wondering if the black was some sort of glue as well; I'm glad you said that. That was the first thing that ran through my mind when I saw it.

If I got lucky with one thing in this house, it was the electrical and the majority of the plumbing was already updated. :)

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

OH Farmhouse so good to see you again... I was Civil War Seamstress (CWS) but changed to Wackyshack after the houses name... my old email got trashed so I have to start all over again with a slightly revised version of my ID over here.... Miss coming over here but we aren't doing much by way of restroration Hubby got blood clots and ended up in the hospital this winter... Time for him to slow down.
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Boo...all the images are gone.... :(

Hey wackyshack....so sorry to hear about your hubby! Hope he's feeling better!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

Wackyshack
Forgotten more than most know

Post by Wackyshack »

Thanks Bungalow Mo... he's doing better. Also determined to get things done this year. Seeing all you have been up to while I was on hiatus and getting in my latest Old House Journal is making me feel lazy and guilty!!! ;)
If everything is coming your way..... You're in the WRONG lane!!!

Blue Farmhouse
Knows the area

Post by Blue Farmhouse »

Nice to see you again, too, Wackyshack!

After months of wondering, I finally got to see what a box gutter was today. I have to admit, the name is a bit misleading. ;) At least I have a better idea now of where my leak in the upstairs bathroom is originating.

I think my roof is going to need to be re-coated sometime in the near future, too. It's looking a little rough.