Our House <3

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
mrsnightengale11 (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Re: Our House <3

Post by mrsnightengale11 (WavyGlass) »

We don't plan to make huge changes. The kitchen is on my mind simply because I'm disabled an worry about having it manageable for my needs. I have severe RA and Fibro, so the more user friendly we can make the kitchen the better. Especially since I'll need my energy elsewhere in the house to make it livable.

Like I said though I love what's there now, I just need ways to make it better for me in the long run.

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

I hear what you're saying!

My partner is paraplegic, and so we have to think carefully about conserving his energy. Our small kitchen works well for him, because he can "conserve steps." The modern gigantic kitchen is too much for us, which might scandalize most people.

Don M

Post by Don M »

The "modern gigantic kitchen" is much like the modern gigantic house---bigger is NOT always better! A small functional kitchen is probably a better choice. ;)

Knows the area

I'm definitely not interested in a modern kitchen lol. Just one where I'm not running in circles to accomplish simple tasks. We're gonna see how it flows as is, then come up with ways to make it easier to use for me, while saving as much of the things I love as possible.

Knows the area

We went out today to check the work happening at the house, and get measurements. The furnaces are in, and working great. Sadly more plaster has fallen (some on my head), and there was a plumbing issue. All the pipes that were iffy were getting replaced when we showed up, which was a nice surprise. Apparently one of the sellers step-father (the one who removed the asbestos and radiators), noticed issues and decided to take it upon himself to fix it all. He told us he wanted to make sure it was all functioning so we would have less to worry about when we moved in.

Another not so great surprise was a wall in the basement is bowed, it's not horrid but more then I like seeing. My father in law also pulled up the carpets and vinyl upstairs and found wide planks with large gaps. Based on what he saw he's thinking we'll need to come up with an alternative flooring then what's there. All in all though I'm still pretty happy with our decision to buy. The honey do list just keeps getting longer unfortunately haha.

First Floor

Second Floor

Better look at the tiling in the vestibule

This is the cupboard under the stairs. Last time we saw it was just a tiny crack.

I turned off the light and it all came down on me.. I have great luck lol

Better photos of the fireplace. Any ideas where I can get new tiles for it?

Somehow I missed this detail last time we were there. A majority of the hinges on the main level are really pretty.

This is the flooring that's visible from the cabinet in the butlers pantry. It's about an inch lower then the current flooring. My father in law tried pulling up the flooring in the kitchen, and confirmed it's layer upon layer. I'm picturing how fun redoing the floor is going to be in the kitchen and butlers pantry.

This fridge is almost mint, and completely functioning. Sadly the deep freeze in the basement from the same era is not. Also the peel and stick linoleum tiles you can see, double as the current countertops.

This is the upstairs cupboard. The same flooring is visible in the doorway to the attic, but sadly isn't anywhere else. I still love it though.

My husbands favorite part of the house lol

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

The home looks to be a diamond in the ruff now, it will be much better soon after you move in and just do some simple clean up. The checker floor looks to be old linolium and may just clean up good as new others here had had good results with that. The falling plaster I would not worry to much about at this point. Turning the heat off is the fasted way to ruin a home and plaster. Unless really large areas are falling off, the little areas were probably week and now that the warmer weather has arrived in your area the home is probably restabalising. The fire place tiles look to just need some regrouting. Once again, congradulations on your new home, I'm sure you be happy for many years to come.

Knows the area

Sadly a lot of the plaster, especially on the ceilings seems to be giving. Pretty much once the furnace was turned on it all started to go. My mother is thinking a lot of what we thought was good last time we went through, will now have to be tore out and dry walled.

As for the tiles, there are a couple pieces missing (triangles and a few rectangles). Any tips on where to buy them? I'm assuming they're not something I can just go into the local shop for?

clover
Been here a good while

Post by clover »

That house has so many beautiful details! I adore the tiling in the vestibule, and the hinges on the doors. It tells me someone with a little bit of money built that house, because just like these days, you can put your money into finishes or square footage. The houses on either side of us (circa 1895) have identical floor plans, but the siblings who built them had very different ideas about what was worth spending extra money on. One has thick mouldings and pocket doors, and the other skimped everywhere they could. It's amazing what a difference those little things make, especially on two identical houses.

You definitely can't go to the store and buy tile like that. You're very unlikely to find an exact match, but I'd first start with online salvage sites and see what's out there. There are also companies that do reproductions, and if your tile was a common style you might have more luck with that, though they're likely to be pricey.

Kansas.1911
Stalwart

Post by Kansas.1911 »

regarding tile:
http://retrorenovation.com/category/bat ... ries/tile/
Check out Retro Renovation where they love to talk tile and source tile. Although it's a site for mid-century modern houses, and all things pink Mamie Bathroom tile, they also have leads on old tile.

It's in one place. Then, the salvage sites might be less daunting.
Northeast Kansas
American Foursquare

Knows the area

UGH!!!

The bank is suddenly dragging it's feet out of no where. After being told repeatedly everything was good to go, suddenly it isn't. They are making us go over and verify my husbands work history all over again (for the third time), as apparently our loan officer is now working with a new underwriter (the third one now). We've also just been informed not only do they want proof we can afford the full cost of closing, then want us to have several months worth of house payments in savings. Something they never once mentioned we needed. While we have a decent savings, we are just short of what they want.

Not to mention apparently something was amiss with the appraisal, and the banks not happy about it. Which I'm not surprised about as the appraisal was done before the repairs were finished.. as they are so brilliant obviously...

I'm honestly not sure what to do at this point, we're already in contract on the house and have paid a good bit in fees to the bank. Would it be a bad idea to switch banks this late in the game? We're supposed to close the first week in May..