$7500 house?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Thomolli
Settling in

Re: $7500 house?

Post by Thomolli »

I went by today and got some pics of the outside of the $5k house. It is going to be great watching it transform from this poor little thing back into a cute little house. In December we bought the lot to the left when you are standing in front of the house. You can't see much of it but, there is a building on the back half of that lot that is going to become our new shop. This whole corner is about to undergo a metamorphosis. And the great thing, all this is 4 blocks from our house that we live in. Without further ado here is what $5k will buy you.

Side window

East side

West side front

West side back

Back

JRC
Forgotten more than most know

Post by JRC »

Looks great from the front! I love the detail in that front porch, and the scalloped shingles in the gable. (I wonder if there used to be a window in that gable?) But, those additions in the back look a little scary.

Don M

Post by Don M »

I too like your new purchase the original house has a lot of character. The multiple additions are interesting; I'll be interested to see some interior shots!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Thomoli, well you certainly can't complain about the price. The front does look like it will once again have some grace with very little effort. Ill thought out additions in my opinion should go. The rear add on'so look to be just stabbed in and very run down. To my eye the large rear section looked to be a really old addition with a newer second floor grafted on to it. On first impression I think I would tear all the additions out till you get to the core house. And rethink a new plan. At the least you would know what will be be hind the new walls.

Thomolli
Settling in

Post by Thomolli »

Here is a link to photos of the $5k house. Things are going along great so far. Not too many surprises. We have almost all the plaster out of the front and middle rooms. Normally removing plaster is anathema to me but there was no saving this stuff. It is just as well as we found some old termite damage that will need to be addressed. Now we can also insulate without any hassles.

http://s845.photobucket.com/user/Thomolli/library/1002%20West%20Oak%20Street?sort=2&page=1

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

time to tell us what type of business you are in--haha, I know!

that place has a ton of potential....your enthusiasm tells me that you are up for it...I look forward to seeing your progress AND how you eventually set up your shop....

good luck!
...jade

Don M

Post by Don M »

Your house sure has a lot of nice remaining interior features. The tile hearth, base boards, wood floors, kitchen bead board wainscoting, transoms are all very nice. Good luck with your work; it obviously needs it!