Period furnishing for our period homes

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
Nettie
Been here a while

Re: Period furnishing for our period homes

Post by Nettie »

I like both rockers and the etegere- what a really cool floor fan Mo!.

Okay GC- you mentioned pop bottles- here are some of the bottles that I found while digging in our yard- the pop bottles I bought but the medicine bottles I found. The white one is Nyal's face cream from 1913 with the zinc lid. I found the newspaper ad for Nyals and put that on the wall above the jar. All are in my bathroom.
Attachments
bottles.JPG
bottles.JPG (171.5 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

Don M

Post by Don M »

I love your bathroom very nice colors!

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

Thanks Don!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Nettie, we too have collection of bottles, Gothichome backs onto a river (the Thames river) at one point there was a sizable dock. I found a pocket of "the good stuff" just off what looks like the end of the dock, Just digging, came up with lots of stuff mostly broken china (lots of pre McKinley Act shards)and bottles but I did get a couple of intact bottles, one poison and the other looks like a medicine bottle. Nothing rare by any means, The big find from this little area is a porcelain toy tea cup from about 1920 I would think. Once again nothing that will pay for the restoration of Gothichome, dam it!

Nettie
Been here a while

Post by Nettie »

I hauled away a 5 gallon pail of shards and rusted tin. It was heartbreaking. Nothing valuable here either.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

http://www.lacasseauctions.com/

For those in the Chatham SW Ontario and my US friends in the Detroit, Cleveland area. A rather large antique auction on the 4th. Check out the pics. Just might be worth a trip if you have any $$$ left over after the summers restoration projects.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

A few pages back I mentioned the making of some mantle dressing for the front parlor, well how about this.
It's a collaborative effort between the lady of the house (upper management) and my mother. Most of it has been hand stitched because it is too thick for the sewing machine. Each of those tassels were were also attached as individual tassels and it is fully lined.

crystalvision (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by crystalvision (WavyGlass) »

beautiful..... I hope we are able to get such great finds! Love love love the fact that you are staying period correct!

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Well thanks for the comment Crystalvision. We like the direction we took, in our mind we don't know if the modern mix and match antique with new would do do justice to the original details of the home. Or at the least I don't have the vision for the mix and match approach. Upper management, some times would like to give in a bit though. I believe she has come to terms with the fact she is not going to get the $100.000 dream kitchen. But we are on the look out for a period correct antique sink.

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Love this thread. You all have some great antique and vintage pieces. I'll try to pay attention and maybe I can help some of you with repairs, refinishing, restoration. I'm completing a repair/refinishing on a clients bedroom set right now. I'll post some pictures when done.