Hello from PA

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
kcs (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Hello from PA

Post by kcs (WavyGlass) »

Greetings all!
Wanted to make myself known rather than remain a lurker.
We recently bought a new to us, old home and like so many others, anticipate we will have lots of questions. Hoping to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and experience here!

We believe our home was built around 1900 (just moved in a week ago and haven't scoured the historical society documents, tax records, etc yet). I think the style is a Second Empire colonial (if that style even exists??).
One question I have is that the home currently has vinyl shutters (but thankfully NOT vinyl siding). The original shutter hardware is present and in the barn are the 14 pair of wood shutters--which I will be returning to their rightful place! My question tho' is that most of the photos I've seen of Second Empire homes do not have shutters--so perhaps my home is more of an eclectic style?? It does have the mansard roof and typical front entry expected of Second Empire style.
I only have one photo of the front--with the seriously overgrown hedge its difficult to see the first floor entry porch but you can see the upper floors... I'd appreciate any thoughts on the style and shutters.
You can also see the barn/garage at the end of the driveway--replacing those doors are also on the list!
Again hello and thank you! I'm hoping I attached my photo correctly!
kcs
Attachments
-1.jpg
-1.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 883 times

KJS (WavyGlass)
Knows the area

Re: Hello from PA

Post by KJS (WavyGlass) »

Beautiful home! I have no knowledge of what's appropriate for the style, but just wanted to pop in with a howdy. Can't wait to see interior pics!

lisascenic
Stalwart

Post by lisascenic »

It's very nice to meet you. What a lovely house!

I'm currently working on a show that's set in the 1830s, and the task I'm doing today is painting hundreds of slats that will become beautiful green shutters.

[img=center]http://www.curatorofshit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Curator_PAHouseBarn.jpg[/img]

A quick google image search suggests that houses in your area might well have had shutters.

kcs (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Thanks for the welcome!
Lisascenic, I will be thinking of you when it comes time for me to tackle those shutters!

We're heading to Kiev next Wednesday (do I know how to pick vacation spots or what?!!!). Hope to post more photos after I return. Just know that the entire house has white painted woodwork-- anxious to strip away an area to see what the paint is hiding. I believe windows are original and I see wavy glass. Also we have reason to believe the front room fireplace has been walled over -- the central chimney is present in the wall and the flue being used for the basement boiler, but there is no fireplace. It would make sense that one would have been in the front room and/or the kitchen behind it. So some investigative work there!
Our 65+ year old neighbor has lived next door his entire life. He is currently away but I plan to pick his brain for any house details he might recall when he returns.

wletson
Been here a good while

Post by wletson »

Nice that you have the original shutters stored away. Are they still in good shape?

Welcome to the forum! Great house.
Warren

Locust Quarter
Knows the back streets

Post by Locust Quarter »

Very nice house. I don't think there is any rule on whether or not an Italianate(or any other style)would or would not have shutters. Some did, some did not. But since you know this one did, and you have them, I strongly encourage you to do what is necessary to but them back. Depending on condition it could be pricey, but definitely worth doing if you can.

Superbeetle
Been here a while

Post by Superbeetle »

I think the style is more Beaux Arts than Second Empire. You see it more often in very grand houses, but I think your house has the elegant French look.

Vintrest (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Post by Vintrest (WavyGlass) »

Most historic photos I've seen from the late 19th century showed exterior shutters. The earliest U.S. examples of the Mansard roofed French Second Empire date from the 1850's but the heyday of the style was between 1865 and 1875. (sometimes referred to as the "General Grant Style") By the early 1880's the last examples were being built so your example probably dates no later than about 1885.

I've been looking at a Pictorial History of Richmond, Indiana by the Dalbey Bros. published in 1896 on the Internet Archive and there's over 100 residences as they appeared in 1895: https://archive.org/details/dalbeyssouvenirp00rich (free pdf online read and download) You'll note most of the houses back then had shutters. An early photo (c. 1910) of our 1889 home also showed shutters but alas, they are long gone. Congratulations on your new-old house.

kcs (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

wletson, at first look the shutters do appear to be usable--although needing prep and paint. We have not really had a chance to lay them out and examine them closely however, and after today's first snow, it will probably be spring before the opportunity arises!
And Locust Quarter, we definitely agree with you that back on the house is where they belong.
Superbeetle--Beaux Arts is an interesting thought although I think our home lacks the ornamentation typical of the style--but I do see some similarities.
Vintrest, The only reason I'm suggesting our home was built in 1900 is that is the info we received verbally from the realtor--it may be that once I research the town records I'll find a more reliable date, which could very well be the 1880's. Thank you for the Internet Archive link!

kcs

Don M

Post by Don M »

Nifty house; congratulations on buying it. I spent a lot of time repairing & restoring our original shutters which were in a big pile in the barn. I drove out & replaced most of the old wood dowl pins holding them together. That straightened them & removed a lot of the sag & looseness. I also spent a fair amount to purchase missing hinges & catches so I could rehang them properly. Good Luck with your work on them next spring!