Our 1916 Craftsman

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. Threads for member introductions and where members had threads devoted to their own houses for showing off their pride and joy!
csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Our 1916 Craftsman

Post by csnyder (WavyGlass) »

As the first newbie on the site, I figure I should start the first thread in this forum.

My family (my wife, our 21-month-old son, our next baby on the way, and me), purchased a 1916 house earlier this year, moving there in June. It's located in a pocket of homes in the Garfield Park neighborhood in Grand Rapids, Michigan, that were almost all built between 1915 and 1935. There is a lot of interesting architecture - mostly Arts & Crafts - in this neighborhood, and most of the houses have been kept in excellent condition.

From the research I've done, our house was built by a vice president for the Grand Rapids Gas Light company. This is evident throughout the house - it was clearly built by someone with some amount of wealth (I've never seen a house this sturdy before), and there are gas lines throughout the house, even though gas lighting was becoming less popular by the time the house was built.

The original owner received a few patents for various tamper-proof gas outlet designs, and one of them - the "Conceal-O" - was installed throughout the house:

This photo, taken in 1937, is from the city assessors office archives; it's the oldest photo I've found so far:

Here's the house in 2012, after we replaced the roof and gutters:

"Front" entrance (actually on the side):

Back of the house:

Living room:

Original Murphy Bed:

We got all of the radiators sandblasted and powder-coated; they look like new:

Den in basement. It was probably added in the 1920's or early 1930's, when the heat was converted to gas (there are coal chutes outside the room); I think it was finished during prohibition - a section of the wall is actually a concealed door to a hidden compartment, which would have been a perfect place to hide booze.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

jschneider
Knows the area

Re: My 1916 Craftsman

Post by jschneider »

How cool is that Murphy Bed... great place!!

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Re: Our 1916 Craftsman

I gained a few unexpected hours of free time last night (cancelled choir rehearsal), which I used to install the light fixtures that we purchased to go over the kitchen peninsula:

The fixtures (Belle Pendant by BoBo Intriguing Objects) are new, but designed to have a "vintage" look. I hope I don't trick a future (uneducated) homeowner into thinking that they're older than they actually are - I removed the UL and wattage warning stickers, which were very visible through the shade.

The fixtures were inexpensive - $80 each with the coupon code that 1000 Bulbs is always throwing around - but seem to be well-built. As visible in the picture, they're hanging from a track - the included bases (or the bases from just about any other pendant fixture) would have conflicted with the crown molding.

To complete the faux-vintage look, I used FerroWatt "Victorian Style" bulbs in the fixtures. It's tough to see in the picture, but the end result is quite striking. I've been a CFL nut (probably converting to LED in the near future) since we bought our first house in 2006, but I'm finding that I really like the look of old-style bulbs in certain situations.

This house has a lot of light fixtures with actual historical value (at least to my untrained eye); many of them look original to the house. Sometime soon I'll take and post pictures of all of the interesting fixtures in the house.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

Those lights look pretty good!

FWIW, The inventor of the Murphy bed, Charles Murphy, was some relation to my grandmother (who was born Madeline Murphy)

csnyder (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

In preparation for baby Thomas's arrival, we recently renovated one of the bedrooms for our older son, Matthew, to move into. We were fortunate to be able to hire a contractor to do most of the work, but I made sure to stay involved.

I need to be better about taking pictures during future projects - I don't have many before/during pictures. Here's one of how it looked when we took possession of the house last year:

The floor color is not a trick of the light - if anything, it was greener than it appears in this photo. That was the only room to have that color. We had all of the floors refinished before we moved in, and they were able to sand off the stain (apparently they gummed up quite a few sanding pads/belts in the process). The radiator was powder-coated with the rest of the visible radiators in the house.

The POs of this house should have never been allowed near a paintbrush. When the crown molding, which also functions as picture rail, was last painted, they painted right over a picture hook instead of removing it. A can of exterior trim paint in the basement was watered down to the point of being unusable (which is scary - if the whole house was painted using paint thinned that much, I'm going to have to move up my timeline for repainting the exterior).

We decided to have the wallpaper stripped, as well as stripping the paint off of all of the trim. The trim was stained to match the doors, which have never been painted. The picture rail was removed to be stripped at the contractor's shop (it was the only trim to have lead paint, according to an earlier lead inspection we had done), and it was reinstalled slightly further from the ceiling to allow picture hooks to hook on more easily.

The windows were also fully restored, and I made sure to be more involved in this part of the project. I built a steambox to soften the putty for deglazing. This worked quite well, though this caused a problem with one sash, where the meeting rail warped. This sash has not been protected by a storm window (the storm must have been lost/damaged some time in the past 97 years), so the wood was more weathered both from more exterior exposure and higher interior condensation; therefore, it absorbed more water than the other sashes. The contractor fixed the problem by replacing the meeting rail with new wood.

Two panes of glass were broken: One of the smaller upper panes was broken during deglazing, and the contractor used a spare piece of wavy glass he had laying around to replace it. A lower pane was also broken during reglazing - it was thinner than the rest of the panes (it must have been an early repair, as it was still wavy), and therefore more fragile. The contractor found decaying donor sashes at a local salvage yard to harvest the glass - the first attempt at replacement resulted in another broken pane, while the second was thicker glass and worked well.

The wood was treated with 50/50 boiled linseed oil & turpentine. The glass was reglazed using Sarco putty. The exterior received oil primer and acrylic latex topcoat, while the interior received the same stain and finish that was used on the trim.

We also installed interlocking metal weatherstripping to weatherize the windows. The contractor rigged up router jigs to make the necessary cuts; he left the jigs and bits for me at the end of the project, so I can use them when I do future restorations on my own (I've left strong hints with my family that I'd greatly appreciate receiving a Porter Cable router for my upcoming birthday 8-)). We re-roped the windows using Samson Red Spot cord.

Other miscellaneous changes included brown outlets with brass cover plates to blend in with the wood trim, and a light fixture we bought from an antique store to replace the bare-bulb fixture that was there previously.

Here are some after shots:

I'm very pleased with how it turned out. While I didn't have the time to do all of the work, I made sure to be involved with at least some of each step of the window restoration, in order to have a chance to try it while being supervised by someone with experience.

Thanks especially to Jade for all of her advice - I bounced quite a few questions off of her during the past few months - as well as for sending me a tub of Sarco.
1916 Craftsman
Image Image

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome »

Chris's, great work. The room looks like its been that way from new.

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

It looks great - I am swooning over the window work and the fresh radiator! Nice find on the light fixture, too ~ good work!
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

christiner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by christiner (WavyGlass) »

looks fab!

yorkmoore (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Post by yorkmoore (WavyGlass) »

Your windows look incredible!
~Stephanie

"We shape our buildings; thereafter, our buildings shape us." ~Winston Churchill

Lauren674 (WavyGlass)
Been here a while

Post by Lauren674 (WavyGlass) »

Your windows look beautiful! I must say that I'm jealous as I've been stripping two windows in the bedroom for months now and they only look 'ok'. Its extremely tedious work and I've cracked three panes which we need to replace. :cry:
Present: Image and long, long ago:Image
Lauren
Restoring our 2nd Generation in-the-family Bungalow
http://www.pbase.com/lauren674/root