Homemade porch corbels

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Nicholas
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Homemade porch corbels

Post by Nicholas »

So here are a couple of before and after pics.

The first would be one of the pics I took right after we closed. The PO had a ripped and dirty screened in porch, the funky screen door, and a porch floor which was covered in decorative stone work. (Later I removed that flooring and was surprised to find the original floor in decent shape).

The first thing I did was to remove the slightly damaged porch facia to expose the rafter tails, which were in good condition. Then I cut out the screen and removed the funky 1 x 2 framing and screen door, as well as mismatched framing on the left.

Since the house has a huge screened in porch in back, we decided we wanted a more open and inviting front porch. After reframing to give the porch columns a more substantial appearance, I took 1x 4 and 1x 6 and experimented with some porch deco.

Tools: A regular saw and a 3 1/4 hole saw. I cut half holes in the wood pieces, and tried different ways and angles and spacings to see what looked best.

I ended up using the 1x4 with the half hole, placed at an angle. Later I may make more substantial looking ones out of 2 x 4, but for now its just a simple and basic appearance.
Attachments
porchb4.jpg
porchb4.jpg (109.6 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Porch2.jpg
Porch2.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
porch3.jpg
porch3.jpg (132.26 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

SkipW
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Homemade porch corbels

Post by SkipW »

That really looks great! What an improvement and very inviting, just as you wanted. I love the detail that looks much more complex than you described, nice touch.
Etta says "WOOF"

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks SkipW, it was a simple solution, not too big and and just enough, inexpensive.
1915 Frame Vernacular Bungalow

"If it ain't leanin' or a little crooked then it ain't got character"
- local resident

The BumbleBee House

mattswabb

Post by mattswabb »

Much inmproved for just a little cost and effort. Looks great compared to the before pic.

Neighmond

Post by Neighmond »

It really does make the porch!