linoleum counter top

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
heartwood

linoleum counter top

Post by heartwood »

does anyone have experience with linoleum counter tops? my bathroom horror show saga is about to enter its third month...if it takes me three months to do the kitchen on my own, I think I will do a better job than the five outfits who have wreaked havoc with my bathroom...only the plumber has done quality work...

I had linoleum put down in the bathroom (installer will be back for the third time to fix mistakes!!)...Armstrong sent an extra EIGHT FEET (6.5' x 8') of material, too small for the kitchen floor but great for counter tops...I like the look of a counter with a stainless band around the perimeter...

thanks!
...jade

CS in Low Hud
Forgotten more than most know

Re: linoleum counter top

Post by CS in Low Hud »

Hi Jade,

I have seen these guys advertising their chrome banding for retro counter tops: http://eagle-aluminum.com/retro-nostalgic-50s/ I have not used them, but it looks promising for your project.

Chris

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

thanks chris!

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

Linoleum was often used for countertops in early 20th century homes, as I'm sure you know and I think it's a great idea. Our antique Hoosier has a linoleum surface on the pull-out workspace, but it's so stained and burned and cut that I plan to replace it with another piece of real lino. Be real careful to always use a cutting board so you don't damage it in normal kitchen use. And we want pictures!

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

note to self: purchase a new camera and learn to post pics! thanks bungalove for the comments....

my 3 week bathroom saga is now over 3 months! the lino floor was put in incorrectly...they sent the same guy out a second time and tho it was somewhat improved, there were still areas where the adhesive didn't hold and there's a 5 inch rip (not seam) that is very noticeable...they sent an inspector the third time and he agreed it was a lousy job....the floor and underlayment must come up...AND I was just informed that the lino is on backorder!! I haven't had a sink in the bathroom since December....I have decided that I will be doing most of the work in the kitchen....

the second contractor (who came highly recommended) drywalled my cat in behind the shower and set the chair rail height incorrectly for my new pedestal sink among other things...good thing my cat is ok and I have a sense of humor!

...jade

Jo_S
Knows the area

Post by Jo_S »

heartwood wrote:
the second contractor (who came highly recommended) drywalled my cat in behind the shower and set the chair rail height incorrectly for my new pedestal sink among other things...good thing my cat is ok and I have a sense of humor!

...jade

:o !!??

How could he not see/hear the cat back there?

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Here are a few more sources for the chrome/steel edging for countertops:

http://retrorenovation.com/2011/02/01/3 ... untertops/

Total outrage over your cat - but I had a weirdo cat who also got boxed into a crawl space that we had to undo a bunch of work to get him out of at 11:00 p.m. , with flashlights (and it was the neighbouring apartment building - not even our property). At least you found your cat promptly and it was okay !

Al F. Furnituremaker
Stalwart

Post by Al F. Furnituremaker »

Well this is different, I'm going to ask a question.

One of the things I do when the shop work is slow is to repair and refinish old metal office desks (tanker desks). Most have linoleum tops, some can be refinished as is, and some have to be replaced. I currently have one waiting to be done where the top is bullnosed all the way around including the corners. Some like this have metal corners, this particular one has linoleum on the rounded corners also. Does anyone know how they shaped the linoleum around that corner? It is one solid piece with no cuts.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but since it is all about linoleum, I thought I'd give it a try.

lovesickest

Post by lovesickest »

Hmmm, I know that linoleum (and Marmoleum) have a small pressing iron looking tool that is used to seal contrast edging borders to meld with the surface of larger sheet areas. I wonder if the desk manufacturer had some sort of heat press jig that could have shaped the linoleum onto the desk top ? Also - linoleum (true linoleum - not vinyl or other composites) is on a woven jute type backing, woven straight of grain in a plain weave. The bias of cloth (45 degree to straight of grain) is stretchy and malleable. So - bias cut linoleum desk tops, heat moulded ? Maybe ?

Mick_VT

Post by Mick_VT »

I was gonna say heat too - they used to heat it up to make a coved baseboard kind of edge to linoleum floors
Mick...