Replacing floor, whole rooms at a time

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
BraeburnGirl (WavyGlass)
Just Arrived

Replacing floor, whole rooms at a time

Post by BraeburnGirl (WavyGlass) »

I'm hoping to start replacing the rotted floors at our cittage this summer. The kitchen is fine, but I have a sleeping porch, living room and two bedrooms to do. I've seen several tutorials about sistering the joists, but I haven't seen anything about tearing the old flooring up, jacking the sagging areas, or what to use to replace the floors. I suspect that all that is there is the floor on top of the joists; all the floors in the house are wood and the place was built pre-1880.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Carrie
[font=cursive]Carrie McK
Braeburn - Where My Soul is at Home
[/font]

Gothichome

Re: Replacing floor, whole rooms at a time

Post by Gothichome »

Carrie, lifting the boards not a big deal technically if the are tongue and groove it makes a bit more difficult. Your big issue may be the walls built on the floor. Assuming the walls were erected on top of the floor you will need to make a big decision, to cut or not to cut. If the boards are parallel to the wall you can lift the boards all the way to the last board against the parallel wall. If perpendicular you either have to cut or work around those boards that go under the wall. Once the floor has been lifted the repairs and levelling are pretty straight forward. At this point though it might be just as easy to replace the rotten joists as to sister them. To support the joists you can easily make some cement footings.