Feather edging paint on siding?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Foursquare
Knows the back streets

Feather edging paint on siding?

Post by Foursquare »

Happy Thanksgiving, wavy glass gang!
I know the subject of feathering paint edges comes up peripherally in other threads, but I wanted to address it more specifically here. The most common suggestion is using a dual action sander, and I have a Bosch DA sander which I have used with velcro attaching 40 grit paper, which is the coarsest grit DA sandpaper I could find at Lowe's. I really don't get a good feathered edge that blends and hides the paint edge well. I recently tried a pressure sensitive adhesive sanding disc attachment (24 grit) for my hand drill and had great success with knocking down the paint edge. The only trick to it to avoid the swirl marks was to make sure I was using the 12 o'clock edge of the desk so that the sand and grit was essentially moving horizontally across my siding board. this eliminated the swirl marks and made sure that the striations in the paint were horizontal, making it easier to smooth them all down with the finer grit sandpaper up and not be noticeable.

So that's where I am right now in trying to improve my feather edging skills. Do y'all have any suggestions that you found work well in feathering out a sharp paint edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Feather edging paint on siding?

Post by Casey »

Hi,
I made the discovery that certain shapes of abrasive grit have been engineered that actually work better for feathering. I use a Festool brand sander, with the vacuum attached to get most of the dust; Festool makes two kinds of sandpaper (to my knowledge, but maybe they have more kinds) The red-colored papers are called "Rubin" and are for bare wood. The white abrasives are called "Brilliant" and do a super job of feathering chipped paint. (I use 100 or 120) Even latex, which normal paper seems to ball up, tear out, and get clogged-up with.
Maybe searching out discs that have those characteristics and will fit your sander. The Klingspor website is a great place to start, AFAIK they have every sandpaper known to man.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Foursquare
Knows the back streets

Post by Foursquare »

Fantastic info Casey, thanks! I'll check out Klingspor and try To divine out feathering designed paper as you mentioned. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

Just look for sandpaper for paint prep, not for wood.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

phil
Has many leather bound books

Post by phil »

would a high build primer help once you have it reasonably clean? it might sand better than the old paint?