Attaching sash chain to weights?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Attaching sash chain to weights?

Post by BungalowMo »

Too embarrassing! I have probably 3 sets of sash restored & finally getting them back in. I'm ordering sash chain & extra weatherstripping from Killians & I'm wondering...how do you attach the chain to the window weights? I'm guessing it loops through the hole like the rope did, but how do you attach the chain to itself?

Just need to know if there's something else I need to order...
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Re: Attaching sash chain to weights?

Post by Casey »

I would thread the chain thru the eye, double it on itself an inch, and wire the loop together with bailing wire (or rebar tie wire) or even a section of wire coat hanger. You could also use very small machine screws and nuts. Tying a knot won't work, Mo.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

BungalowMo
Been here a good while

Post by BungalowMo »

Casey...Yeah, I knew a knot wasn't gonna cut it, & I thought I saw somewhere that someone had looped it through & had some kind of screw to attach the chain to itself, so I was thinking something small like that might work...

mattsweb...those pics helped...seeing exactly how those pieces work. I'll get some of those & see how that works!

I haven't really been on here in a while. Busy summer!! Finally got my concrete steps rebuilt where it was crumbling in places, so now it's not so "ghetto" lookin. Also got some roof work done & got my 2 porch roofs sealed where the flashing at the house had been failing & got the roofs scraped, power washed, primed & painted! I went with an elastomeric roof paint instead of the fiber silver stuff. Had that done in 07 as part of the sale & that guy either didn't know what he was doing or it was just crappy paint. Either way, I like what I have now & it doesn't look like I'm waiting on the UFO's with my foil hat!

Finally... Took forever to find someone qualified to help me with this stuff. Lots of bs...Oh, I can do that...then they never show up. So frustrating.

But...back to work & things are moving forward again! Starting a badly needed paint job in my dining room. Before I'm feeling too old to do it! haha

Thanks for the help guys!
~ Maureen
1916-ish Craftsman Bungalow

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

yo mo!

those little hooks are not to be trusted...when i conduct workshops, i hold up one of the old hooks and then say "this is what is available now" and everyone gets a good chuckle...

measure the size of the bore/hole in the side of the sash...the spirals are available in 3/4" and 7/8"...the spiral should be snug in the bore...you want to attach the chain at the rounded loop not the closed side...slide the chain to the middle of the spiral and install...send me a pm with your address and i will mail you a bunch of old weight hooks...

...jade