Removing print from end of light bulbs

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Removing print from end of light bulbs

Post by Bungalove »

In case anyone else would find this useful:

We installed vintage reproduction light fixtures on the ceilings of some of the rooms in our 1916 home. Curly CFLs look totally wrong so we put LED bulbs in the fixture we'll be using a lot. In the fixture we'll rarely use we put older incandescent bulbs, but the print on the ends was so ugly -- black, lots of words. I was able to easily remove it with a dry SOS pad aka steel wool.

Be sure to remove the bulb first (duh), don't try this while it's in the fixture. I carefully held most of the bulb wrapped in a dish towel while I gingerly and slowly sanded the end with the SOS pad, just in case the glass broke. Be really careful, don't get it wet, etc.

SouthernLady
Forgotten more than most know

Re: Removing print from end of light bulbs

Post by SouthernLady »

Thank you for sharing this! The OCD in me can't stand little things like this. :-)

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

Don't forget all the cool antique style bulbs you can get either!
https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/antique-light-bulbs/

Bungalove
Knows the back streets

Post by Bungalove »

You're welcome, SouthernLady! And yes, Daniel, Edison bulbs would look GREAT in these fixtures but we're trying to use what we have for fixtures we don't use much, and buy much more efficient bulbs for the fixtures we use all the time.

Daniel Meyer
Stalwart

Post by Daniel Meyer »

We're doing much the same...that company I posted the link to also has a variety of decorative LED bulbs...candlebras and such...I've not run into a fixture yet that I couldn't find an efficient bulb that looked great! I'm loving the LED technology!