What # sash cord?

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

What # sash cord?

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

Hi folks, long time to "see"! At one point I purchased the 10#, as several of my downstairs windows were close to 25# per sash... I am doing the bedroom windows now, which are MUCH lighter - and I ran out of the 8# stuff I had been using. So I put my last length of 10# into one of the pulleys and it appears to fit without rubbing and no issues fitting the knot into the hole along side the sash (probably a fancy word for that hole/channel that I don't know)... Now I need to re-order cord and I am wondering, since the 10# stuff fit, should I just use that? Would it possibly last longer, or would it be a slight waste of money?

One last question - how exactly do you determine what weight to buy anyway? I just guessed I needed the heavier stuff for the 25# sash..?
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

heartwood

Re: What # sash cord?

Post by heartwood »

hi fanner!
for 99+% of our work, we use #8 (1/4") sash cord...we purchase our's here: http://kilian.stores.yahoo.net/sashcord.html

your #10 may work but you may have a tough time getting the knot into the BORE (that's the fancy name you were looking for)...you don't want the knot to rub against the jamb as it will wear through in no time at all...

i beleive #8 will carry a moving load of 75 pounds, so with your 25 pounders, you should have no problem...

FYI: the groove for the rope is called a plough or plow and the hole is called a bore...

hope that helps...
...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Post by mattswabb »

For next years windows I'll be ordering using Jade's source. But if you need it now Ace hardware sells a good sash cord that is cotton with a nylon core and 1/4".

Fanner (WavyGlass)
Knows the back streets

Post by Fanner (WavyGlass) »

Thanks, I figured the smaller cord would probably be ok. But then the old stuff I pulled off looked thicker. So, I have ordered some 8# from the site that Jade posted and will go with that.

On a side note, I have finally finished with a bedroom window I had started in Spring. I put off by a severely water damaged sill as I am not a refinished.... but I actually managed to sand off the majority of the nasty looking finish, treat with some BLO and re-shellac.... and mercifully I am not a perfectionist - but the finish matches the surrounding frame and I am thrilled with how it turned out. Well, now that I am over the snafu involving shellac layer #2 and our cat... open window+curious kitty(children who can't keep a door shut)=a furry mess in need of a start-over. Pretty sure that if I were destined to have a stroke it would have happened then.
Anyhow, thanks again for marking this all possible :)
Proudly maintaining our 1904 Victorian since 1999

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

oh no fanner, i just read your post...congrats on your window work and getting the sill back to life...just gotta love those kitties...i have one sill that my cats love to sit on...rather than jump on the dryer and step onto the sill, they make numerous attempts at the sill leaving many claw marks on the wall and the sill...what's a mother to do???
...jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

It should fit the notch of the pulley, fully. I have had the awful experience of having the thin cord slip off the wheel and lodge in the gap between the wheel and the housing, with the window up too far to come out. Had to literally pull the whole window frame apart to fix.
If the larger cord fits, use it. (even if you have to drive the knot into the bore with a mallet& block)
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil