Sash channels to replace weight and cord

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Sash channels to replace weight and cord

Post by Faust (WavyGlass) »

When I was a kid, I remember replacing sash cords and weights with plastic channels. The each side of the parting bead was sprung from the center and this held the sash in place.

I have a use for one now and can't find them. Does anyone know a source?

heartwood

Re: Sash channels to replace weight and cord

Post by heartwood »

may i ask the reason you intend to replace your rope/weight/pulley balance system? in my experience, it is the simplest and dependable balance system and the components will be available more many years to come...
...jade

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

It isn't a matter of replacement. This is an old window which lights a staircase, the pulleys, weights, etc are long gone and the sash simply nailed in place.

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

if you are looking to 'balance' the sash, there are a number of ways to approach the project...

this product is the simplest approach: http://www.amazon.com/Wright-Products-H ... B000CSN3QS remove sash, install product in the jamb track to the product is just out of sight at the meeting rail when the sash in place...there are two holes pierced in the product which produce 'teeth' at the backside and these grab onto the jamb...

not sure if these jambliners are what you were referring to: http://pdf.blainewindow.com/jambliners.pdf

hope that helps...
...jade

Casey
Wizened and wise in the old ways

Post by Casey »

You can still find the plastic (vinyl) jamb liners, they work with the spiral spring balances. What is no longer available are the aluminum jamb liners; I did an exhaustive search for them last summer and came up dry.
Casey
The artist formerly known as Sombreuil

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

In a reference from the TOH site, I found these: http://www.lowes.com/pd_252123-260-BALS ... Id=1071967 on the Lowes website.

Feeling a need to eyeball them, I went to Lowes. No help. No one knew what I was talking about, but thought they could order them for me.

Is anyone familiar with these? They come in various lengths and I assume that they can be cut to the needed size. Is that correct?

heartwood

Post by heartwood »

am I being stupid? specs say the liners are for 38" windows but the liners themselves are 46" long...it doesn't spec how much weight each liner will handle...I think they are made for more modern sash...you need to make sure that the extrusion that acts as a parting bead will fit you sash...38" windows are short, am I reading this incorrectly? been a long day......

...jade

Faust (WavyGlass)
Settling in

Quote: "am I being stupid? specs say the liners are for 38" windows but the liners themselves are 46" long...it doesn't spec how much weight each liner will handle...I think they are made for more modern sash...you need to make sure that the extrusion that acts as a parting bead will fit you sash...38" windows are short, am I reading this incorrectly? been a long day......"

Well, now you know why I wanted to eyeball them. They come in a vaiety of lengths, not just 38". What I need is about 41", that is why I wanted to see if they can be cut down to size. Even the Lowes web site which has links for "description", "specifications" just sends you around in circles to the page you start with, offering no additional info.