Putty removal with a propane torch - video

Part of the former WavyGlass.org site. This was the place to share the knowledge accumulated.
mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Putty removal with a propane torch - video

Post by mattswabb »

Here's a quick video on how to remove putty with a torch. I usually do a section like this on one side then do the same on the other alternating so not to heat the glass too much.

It takes practice. I've lost a few pieces of glass but now I'm very good. Then once the glass is out I hit the paint with the torch and scrape that off then sand. If you're not working on the inside face of the sash you could go from an installed window to both sashes in primer in an hour or so.

http://youtu.be/lCEOxXKhM_8

heartwood

Re: Putty removal with a propane torch - video

Post by heartwood »

matt...i commend you on all the work you have undertaken on your windows...that said, i would caution those considering using a torch especially if used indoors...

off gassing from the fuel you use is not a good thing to breathe in or have lingering in your shop space...rather enviromentally unfriendly...

for those considering an option to steam, i would urge using a heatgun...forget what is said about heating lead to a certain temperature being 'safe'...no heated lead is safe to breathe...you will have more control over where the heat is directed with a heatgun...using a shield can be helpful but high heat is high heat and glass breakage is inevitable...

i strongly urge the application of blopentine prior to priming for 'reconstituting' or 'nourishing' the dry wood...the blop also promises a longer lasting finish as the dry wood can wick oil from the primer and putty...

all this being said, i restore/preserve windows for a living and charge a fair price that is most likely not in the budget of most old home folks...do-it-yourselfers probably don't have the 15-20 hours it takes to properly restore a six over six sash set...if you are going to restore your windows and have them hold up for the long haul, allow plenty of time for each important phase of the process....and don't forget--PAINT IS THE GREAT MAINTAINER! expect to apply touch up or full paint in 5-10 years depending on the paint application, climate, compass direction and whether you have storms protecting the primary sash...

...jade

mattswabb
Shakes a cane at new house owners

Re: Putty removal with a propane torch - video

Post by mattswabb »

FYI I work on the garage and try my best to keep that the dirty unsafe area. I'll wear a mask and I also have a fan removing any fumes.

I agree that it does take time. I've never added up the time but an hour to get the sashes out, deglaze for 2, glazing an hour or two, finishing - 2, cleaning, reroping, jambs, assembly. Easily 10 hours more likely 15 each. The more I do together the less time it takes. I'll save a few hours not having to get things out twice.